Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upagainst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Can someone explain to me the safest way to jailbreak my 3.0.1 3GS? Thanks

upagainst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
so redsn0w is the way to go? i'm on windows, not that i think it will matter much.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Can someone explain to me the safest way to jailbreak my 3.0.1 3GS? Thanks

Why don't you wait a few days for the 3GS jailbreak tools for 3.1 to be released.

If you have an error JB that 3GS, you will have to update to 3.1 to get it working again, and doing so locks your baseband so the phone can't be unlocked again.

Google "DevTeam blog" for info on 3GS JB for 3.1 firmware.

upagainst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Why don't you wait a few days for the 3GS jailbreak tools for 3.1 to be released.

If you have an error JB that 3GS, you will have to update to 3.1 to get it working again, and doing so locks your baseband so the phone can't be unlocked again.

Google "DevTeam blog" for info on 3GS JB for 3.1 firmware.

I got my iPhone like two days before 3.1 was released, so I'm just really getting impatient. If your baseband gets locked, is it irreversible? does it also prevent JB when your baseband gets locked?

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I got my iPhone like two days before 3.1 was released, so I'm just really getting impatient. If your baseband gets locked, is it irreversible? does it also prevent JB when your baseband gets locked?

It can not be undone and you can NOT jailbreak on 3.1.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
That's correct.

If you want to jailbreak, go ahead and run Redsnow.

This is the tutorial that you want:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4447

However, DO NOT DO step 2, just go straight from step 1 to step 3.
Note also in step 1, you will use the 3.0.0 firmware to achieve the Redsnow jailbreak, not 3.0.1, so you need to download that one. You will still be on 3.0.1 afterwards.

The worst that can happen if something goes wrong is that you end up having to restore to 3.1 unjailbroken, but this is unlikely.

And just to anticipate one possible glitch along the way, if Redsnow gets stuck at "Waiting For Reboot" in the middle, just unplug the usb cable for a couple of seconds and then plug it back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.