Please let me know Mac specific software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajaygrover, May 7, 2007.

1. ajaygrover macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My organisation are going to upgrade all the computers and laptops and I have been asked to make a choice today. I am very much inclined to buying a macbook but I have to convince the IT department that I will need it to run some scientific or visualisation software thats only mac specific.

The problem is I dont know any:confused:

If I cant convince them the I have to suffer with a Dell laptop:mad:

Please let me know if you guys come accross any software that does not run on windows...I have my hopes on you....

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And most of those run on Windows too, if not all major platforms.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You do understand that the company will have to purchase that software, and when they find out that you do not use/need the software, you maybe in trouble. I have to bring my own MBP in, but I was finally able to do that when I called them daily about my PC, they finally had enough, set everything up, licensed what they could and made me license everything else.

We all want Macs at work, I just see it adding some rise to your job. Plus as stated previously most of those programs are available for other platforms, mainly Linux/UNIX

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

couldn't you buy a macbook but use all the windows software under bootcamp? if they're covering the cost of the laptop, you could offer to pay for the difference over the dell.

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

there is not a single scientific program that i know is mac only. most scientific programs are windows only, small part is mac and windows.

if your company uses a lot of scientific programs, there's no reason to use mac hardware. last time i talked to some microscope guy from olympus and another company which i cannot remember the name of at the moment, apparently none of them make software for their microscope that support mac...

6. ajaygrover thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. I am going to defend myself by saying that I can run windows on my mac too. I hope I get a MB soon :)