Please make iTunes store browsing accessible via 3G+Edge and not only WIFI!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if apple overlooked this. But I find it quite annoying i can't browse itunes store over edge or 3G at least! Only Wi-Fi...

The app store works fine over egde+3g+wifi, and I believe the itunes music store should too!

please apple fix this!

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

this is a silly statement

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Steve Jobs said that you will not be allowed to download from the iTunes store via 3G.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The reason given for it is the deals Apple has with music providers don't allow wireless distribution, and wireless distribution is expensive. Which I've seen, my old phone had wireless song downloading, cost $2 a song.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Greetings Apple Product User!

Apple here. Sorry about your disappointment.

Oh heck, just kidding. I'm not Apple. I'm just a dude.

This internet website is macrumors.com. Apple's worldwide internet website is...wait for it...www.apple.com.

sincerely,

Not Apple

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It also has to do with the security of the file transfer...

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

so the iphone can securely receive contacts and calendar etc, and work with secure wifi networks, and be remotley wiped, but can't download a song
    songs from the app store are protected by fairplay 2, same as all the apps, and apps can be downloaded via 3g/edge etc

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hm ... I wonder how the cell providers have pulled this off. Are they charging more?

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

None of the other cell phone providers sell as many songs as the iTunes Store. I really don't want the already-limited bandwidth sucked up by a bunch of 15-year-olds buying the new Miley Cyrus album on their iPhones. They can wait until they're at home having a pillow fight.

10. justanothernerd macrumors member

I think it's more of a matter of AT&T wanted to make more money off of music downloads than anything.

11. jeffmc macrumors 6502

or the fact that the files are considerably bigger than apps? i'm on a 2g still and i'm all set with downloading a song in 30 minutes, no thanks

12. pj rage macrumors 6502

I thought it was AT&T telling apple they couldn't do that due to bandwidth issues?

13. kkachurak macrumors regular

I call BS.

If you can download an app up to 10mb over-the-air via 3G or Edge, why can't you download a song up to 10mb in the same manner?

On more than one occasion, Apple has lost $0.99 because I wanted to purchase a track while on the road, but instead was forced to wait until I got home. Then I went to Amazon and got the same track DRM-free and for $0.89!!

Oh well.

Plus! Apps may be smaller than songs, usually. But Apps will go on to continue to use AT&T bandwidth, where as a song uses NO additional bandwidth once you have it.

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

In America I can't see AT&T allowing this. I have great 3G service here but in area's with poor 3G this might just kill it.

On EDGE are you f*cking kidding me? Imagine d/ling a song on EDGE :rolleyes:

15. pj rage macrumors 6502

I think there is little comparison between the big apps and songs. The amount of apps that are even that big vs people actually getting them is nothing compared to the amount of people that would be grabbing songs. I think AT&T is having enough trouble with their bandwidth as it is, without tons of people grabbing 4mb+ files constantly. I mean they already have the 10mb limit for apps even when not on wifi. Why do you suppose that is? Because on 3g I could download that file in under a minute, which isn't unreasonable.

16. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It has nothing to do with size or bandwidth. As stated above, it's the fees the RIAA charges for over the air distribution. That's why every other cell phone that allows songs to be bought over the air charges $1.99-2.99. Apple would have to charge more for songs if purchased over cell networks and you know customers aren't going to put up with that.

The music industry bends distributors over when it comes to non-standard ways of music. Look at the rate increases for streaming radio coming in 2010 (the reason Pandora is thinking of shutting down).