Please MBA experts, answer all my questions please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by John hayman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. John hayman macrumors newbie

Hello,
    First time poster long time lurker.

I am going to get a MBA to replace a 2008 iMac, hopefully with money from my gcse results ( fingers crossed).

Anyway, I will use it for CS5 ( RAW formats and lots of HDR) and autoCAD.

1. I need to know which model is best for me, although I am on a budget. ( this, I know has been answered in other posts, but I am very selfish). I can stretch to over a £1000, but I want to save some money.

2. I like the 11", used one in the store, and it seemed a little small, would I get used to it? Can I do PS easily?

3. CD Drive, easy to let go of? I do use a CDs, will remote disk do this?

Sorry for the behemoth of questions. Thanks.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1. Buy as much computer as you can afford. Your budget is obviously playing a big part in this decision. No one ever complained of their computer being too fast or having too much memory. Do not get 2GB of RAM under any circumstance. If you upgrade ONE thing, upgrade that.

2. You can, but its up to you whether you can live with a smaller screen or not. That is a personal preference thing. 11" will work. 13" will work bigger. :cool:

3. Yes. Although it is VERY convenient to have the CD drive handy. You can get a 3rd party drive for $50, or you can use remote CD. It depends on how often you use CDs and how convenient it is for you to always use them when you can access your remote computer.

Good luck!

3. John hayman thread starter macrumors newbie

4. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Just want to chime in here as well. IMO if the 11" will be your only computer, it might be a bit small for doing everything you do on a computer all the time. I have an older 15" MacBook Pro so I went with the 11" MBA for portability knowing that I could always use the 15" when I needed the big screen. The MBA is so small and light it makes my 15" seem like a boat anchor.

The 11" is plenty fast and powerful so unless you are really into 3D gaming or CAD, it should be powerful enough. I know that is perhaps an over generalization as it's hard to make statements about how a computer will work for someone else (who I don't know) but in general I have found the new MBA's to be very good performers.

Lastly, I'm an example of a person who until recently was still clinging to CD's and DVD's. I have to admit, with the way the cloud is shaping up I've been finding great success in letting the SuperDrive go. In fact, the MBA sort of forces you to move on from the disc. Like the other person who posted above said, you can use remote disk or buy an inexpensive external CD/DVD drive if you really need it.

5. CyrusKafaiWu macrumors member

1. 128gb w 4gb 11 inch macbook air. I chose it because its the best value and you cant upgrade the ram.

2. I have the 11 inch air and use it for web design. I am comfortable.

3. I used the remote cd sharing tool to install a progarm but thats it. I am comfortable without a cd drive.

6. DieterRams macrumors regular

Did you get i5 or i7? Why did you choose 11" over 13"? Do you hook it up to an external monitor ever? Or do you use the 11" without it 100% of the time? And any issues at all (even minor) on the size of the palm rest (the edge maybe digging into your palm/wrist when typing regularly with your fingers on keyboard homerow [F and J]) or the smaller/shorter trackpad having you narrow the gap between your fingers and thumb as compared to using a larger trackpad? I'm thinking of getting the 11" but these issues are making me hold back. Otherwise, the 11" is too enticing to pass up yet the 13" may be more practical since I don't travel much and it'll be my main and *only* machine.

7. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I used the lion tool AirDrop to install a couple programs but thats it. I am comfortable without a cd drive. As long as I have my MBP around :rolleyes:

(i5 for the guy asking)

And got it for ~~25% off Apple MSRP. (Thank you Amazon!:eek:)

Get the 13.