Please name these books

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I can remember three books I read when I was 10-13, mostly for school. I can't remember the names of any of them and it is really stating to annoy me. I was hoping if I described them here someone would have some idea of what I am talking about.

The first one is about a man looking back on his life. He was a pot-holer and this is a prominent theme throughout the book. I think some girl might have died in one of the pot holes when he was in his youth. I can't remember if it was fiction. It probably was.

The second is about the second world war. The book is set around a young man who I believe is captured and is put in a concentration camp. I can remember something about Warsaw - either that's where the character was headed, or that is where he is captured. He escapes from the prison/concentration camp with a 'slither' of soap. A tiny bit of chocolate also? However I believe I am getting this mixed up with the book 1984. He escapes into the woods / jungle and travels across Europe. My English teacher remarked that he read it when he was a boy, so it probably was written sometime between 1940-1960.

The third book is a book that has always stuck in my mind as being disturbing. It's based around a small girl after/during a nuclear winter. There is a man in a haz-mat suit that is trying to kill her? I think he might even rape her? I don't think there are any other characters. Just her and the guy in the haz-mat suit.

If anyone could help me identify these books, it would be brilliant. Thank you!

2. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I remember the second book about the boy in the concentration camp and escaping. I also forget the title though, I will see what I can find.

3. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

How old are you now? I'm 27 and can't remember reading anything like that when I was 10-13.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I think the second one is Night by Elie Wiesel. I'm guessing though. :(

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Going out on a limb here, but is the third one On the Beach by Nevil Shute? It's been literally more than half a lifetime since I read it but it's the only novel I recollect that deals with the aftermath of nuclear stupidity.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

The second one vagely reminds me of "a father's promise" that's a story about a jewish boy separated from his father when Poland was invaded by Germany.

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

It only sounds like Night in the loosest sense.

I think it's something else...

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's been a long time since I read Night. Wasn't he in the came until it was liberated?

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I'm 21.

The last book I am talking about is Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (after loads of online searching).

A very disturbing book!

The first book I believe was definitely set in England

10. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I'm pretty sure I recognise the second book, but I've no idea what the title is. I'll have a root round my memory ;)