please please help- I lost part of my RAID!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alberap, Mar 4, 2008.

1. alberap macrumors newbie

Hello
    I am very new to MAC. I got a mac pro and organized 3 1TB hitachi HD as raid 0 for video editing project. I loaded around 300 GB of video capturing material onto the RAID system. This morning one of the drives died? I can see only 2 of my HD which are described as RAID slice. As you can imagine I do not have the 3rd drive to complete the RAID. I cannot access it. did I lose all the material or can I restore it. please please help.
    thank you very much

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Unfortunately you lost all your stuff because it is a raid0 setup. Do you have a backup?

3. alberap thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply- No I do not have a backup.

4. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

What was your HDD setup?

Losing a drive in RAID0 will destroy the entire array, not just the data on one drive; was that the case?

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Yea, and it was a 3 drive array. :( :eek:

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

RAID0 as you have experienced is very dangerous for data unless you have backups.

With that said, try these suggestions.

1. Power down your Mac. Power cycle the external drives and listen closely to the one you lost. See if it spins up and becomes ready. Then boot your Mac and see if the Volume gets mounted.

2. Take the disk out of the enclosure and try it in another enclosure. If you don't have one, buy one. It's possible that the enclosure itself failed (the controller board) and not the drive.

3. If the disk works in another enclosure, most likely your RAID0 volume will be intact (with the other two drives) and mount.