please please help with PLEX!!!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by illtype, Jan 2, 2009.

1. illtype macrumors member

i just downloaded plex. It seems amazing. The thing is i cant get it to work with my itunes movies? Is there a way to do this. How do u get it to scan your computer? How do you get it in libary mode? I got it to find my itunes music but it does not have any cover art:(. Please help. I am using a keyboard and not a remote. thank you

2. illtype thread starter macrumors member

3. roidy macrumors 6502a

If by iTunes movies you mean ones purchased from the iTunes store then no they wont play as they are DRM protected and will only play through iTunes, iPod or appleTV. If however you mean movies you have encoded yourself then I think it depend on the format and file extension.

4. illtype thread starter macrumors member

movies i have encoded in handbrake to the apple tv format.

5. roidy macrumors 6502a

What format and file extension? I could only get Plex to see mp4 and not m4v.

6. illtype thread starter macrumors member

m4v extension. how do i get plex to scan? how do i get it in library mode? sorry kinda of a noob.

7. dcubed20 macrumors member

you do know that plex has its own forums and documentation, right?

8. roidy macrumors 6502a

I`m not sure Plex can see m4v files (I could be wrong) try changing the extension to mp4. I had the same problem with Plex not seeing my files and had to rename my m4v files to mp4.

9. illtype thread starter macrumors member

that worked. but i still dont understand how to switch between library mode and file mode? i still dont have any cover art in my itunes?

10. ironjaw macrumors 6502

My friend you need to the FAQ at the Plex website and read the Getting Started document. You have to press right button on the apple remote twise then to switch.

Plex can read .m4v as I'm organizing all my movies with Plex.