Please post 15 inch Haswell Retina Macbook Pro processor temperatures please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Starfyre, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

If you have your haswell retina macbook pro, could you please post some temperatures of your processor at idle, load, etc. Want to get a better idea what exactly the heat is especially between the 2.3 and 2.6 quad core processors in RMBP 15 inch as it could affect battery life and fan noise.

2. yokken, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

yokken macrumors member

yokken

15" 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 750M

CandyBox2 is an ASCII RPG that was actually using 20% according to Chrome Task Manager. I mention it in the numbers below because it actually affected temperatures.

With iTunes, Tweetbot, Textual, Chrome (19 tabs, including CandyBox2 in background) and no monitor plugged in (using Iris Pro), it's at 47C. Without CandyBox2, it's at 45C.

With iTunes, Tweetbot, Textual, Chrome (19 tabs, including CandyBox2 in background) and second monitor plugged in, it's at 62C.

Yesterday I played a 4K/"Original quality" video on YouTube while Time Machine backed up to a network share, also with second monitor plugged in, playing the video in fullscreen on the rMBP -- the hottest I've seen it -- 98C. Yeah, I realize that's pretty hot. But I don't anticipate any 4K video editing on this machine and HTML5 4K playback probably isn't as efficient at decoding the video as professional editing software.

Overall it's extremely quiet at 2000rpm and 62C. The fans can certainly get loud if you push this machine, but it's definitely capable! If the 4K video stuttered at all, I didn't notice. It was extremely fluid. I'd like to try playing a 4K video file (compressed, mkv or something) in VLC or another player with hardware acceleration and see how hot it gets. I was certainly surprised to see 98C... but it's not hot enough to potentially damage the processor unless it sustains that temperature for long periods of time. Even at that point I think the CPU would just turn everything off except the fans and cool off.

--

Just started stressing it a bit, doing a large file transfer over 802.11ac -- I hit 65MB/s pulling down a VM image from my NAS which is AWESOME, but my CPU temp hit 90C which is a bit high. Granted, this is all with a second monitor attached so the general temperature of the chassis might be higher because of the 750M. AND I had CandyBox2 which was increasing the temperature more than I actually anticipated. After I closed it, my temps for the transfer are around 85C. Still pretty hot for a wireless file transfer, but maybe 802.11ac just uses that much power...

Just downloading Bioshock Infinite from Steam at 7MB/s bumps my processor to 70C.

3. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

15'' rMBP 2.3 dGPU model.

Geekbench 3 64bit test hits 94c (max temp)

4. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

5. -Geoff- macrumors newbie

I'd be appreciative of getting other new owners experience with the CPU temperature and the case temperature as for me it's important that I can use the device as a laptop for normal use without being heated by the unit. If I can't and I may back away and go to a 13 rMBP.

I've noticed the new 15 inch rMBP runs way cooler in the local Apple Store than the older model, not sure how much of this is Mavericks. But I couldn't find. Warm base on any of the 15 inch demos of the new model, whereas a few months ago I found them uncomfortable hot even in thes store just running the display demo loops.

But I wonder about real world experience running apps. And what differences (if any) people are seeing in the heat from the Iris Pro versus the 750M.

Thanks in advance.

6. Ruphio macrumors newbie

Mine is at 40C 2100RPM. Light web browsing and kinda chilly here in oakland.

Usually its at 60C-75C depending on if i'm watching flash videos.

7. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

How do you get the temperature reading?

I have the 2.6.. it was running very hot while I was copying over ~140GB data over wifi ac from time capsule. I only had Chrome (3 tabs open), and a couple of other apps open.

Now the MBP has cooled down significantly - but only after the files were copied.

8. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Same situation here. When I was copying my data over (over 100GB) it hit like 98-100c on the CPU. But since then I've not seen it go above 60c

Right now I'm on the 750M and have a few apps open, not doing anything intensive. CPU is at 51c GPU is at 50c

Runs a lot cooler than my 2009 17" with a Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz CPU did.

9. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Anyone else? I'm interested in temps and usage. Thanks!