Please post when was your 2011 MBA Built / SSD / Display Type?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by WardC, Jul 25, 2011.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I thought it might be useful to see if there is any correlation between production build date on the 2011 MacBook Airs and the type of SSD and Display panel being used. Could you please reply to this thread, giving your MBA (2011) Production Week (see below), SSD manufacturer, and Display Panel manufacturer. Hopefully gathering a reasonable amount of data on this from a panel of MBA users will help shed some light on why the part manufacturers are differing on different units, and if this (in any way) correlates to early or later produced units. Thanks!

To find out your year/week of production, refer to this page at TUAW:

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/04/14/when-was-your-mac-born/

To find the type of SSD, go to "About this Mac" in the Apple menu, click "More Info" and then click "System Report" and then click "Serial ATA"

If your drive is Samsing, it will start with SM, for example SM128C

If your drive is Toshiba, it will start with TS, for example TS128C

To identify your Display:

open terminal , paste:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

the first line is your display model.

The belief is that if it starts with LP = LG screen while LTH = Samsung screen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Please report back below with:

Build week/year, SSD manufacturer (model), and Display type (model).

The hope is that we can determine the reasoning behind the different parts that Apple is using on the 2011 MBA, and if possibly Apple may well be "using up" older inventory on the earlier manufactured units. Please post your results below. Thanks.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

If you download Temperature Monitor and look in its System Info feature, it will also decipher the production week (7/18 for mine).

I have the Samsung SSD and the LG display on my 11" Core i7.

3. axu539, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

axu539 macrumors 6502a

It has nothing to do with "using up" a supply. Apple has multiple parts suppliers and has been using Samsung, LG, and Toshiba for displays and SSDs since the last generation. The SSD discrepancy has already been discussed in the 2010 MBAs. It is a chance you'll have to take when buying an MBA. In all honesty though, you won't notice a difference in usage, and it's really not worth getting paranoid about.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Holy ****....

I have SM SSD. This is 13 inch low end model...

Woah. I also have 13 inch Display with Samsung.

I guess I was super lucky.

5. eckthroi macrumors regular

Haha I got the 11" 1.6/4GB/128 and ended up with the same thing- both samsung ssd and display

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I'm all Samsung. I'm pretty exhausted. What does 02G17 = ?

7. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

This thread is pointless because every single 2011 MBA on the market right now was produced during the same week (28th week of 2011, aka July). I suspect starting next week we might see some from a different week, but Apple always orders a huge amount to produced before the launch, to always keep up with the early demand when a new product comes out.

Also the whole "Toshiba vs Samsung vs LG" thing needs to die already, it's been ran into the ground and what you get is completely random and also has no perceivable differences anyway. The day the MBA is produced has no baring on which one you get. They are all produced in the same factory, and I suspect the parts are all in the same "pile" that they grab from to manufacture, so the SSD "pile" has mixed parts of Samsung and Toshiba as an example.

8. Billy Mac macrumors newbie

29th week, all Samsung 13 " 256 GB, purchased Opening Day.

9. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

Samsung Storage - LG screen :D built who knows where, not on the list.

10. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

samsung ssd, lg display

Production week: 30 (July)
    Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com))

11. Tootles macrumors member

The TUAW deciphering info page is useless for my MBA's serial number. The Chipmunk site seems to work for me though.

Macbook Air, 11", i5, produced in CO Quanta factory during week 28 (July), bought on opening day.
    SSD: SM128C
    Display: LP116WH4-TJA3

Works great, screen displays sharp graphics. I wish it had a num-lock function. The trackpad might be too small for proper usage of the two-finger contextual menu that Apple has forced on me.

The departure of one-finger contextual menu is annoying. The lack of AV Controls in Quicktime Player upsets me.

12. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

Week 31 MBA produced in CO Quanta factory, 13/256, with Samsung drive and display.

13. rbn, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

rbn macrumors member

Does anyone know what is the manufacturing factory if serial starts with C1?

and can anyone figure out week of manufacture without using the online decoder?

14. SmoothJ macrumors member

Just picked up my mac today, 8/16.

i7 1.8/256GB/4GB

LTH133BT01A03 for the screen (Samsung)

TS256C for the HD (Toshiba)

Serial number begins with C, so I dunno.

15. mittens79 macrumors newbie

11'/i5/128 - received from Amazon yesterday.

SSD = SM
    Display = LT
    (So I guess that's Samsung for both, right?)

Here's the kicker though. According to Coconut battery my Mac is 22 weeks old (March). But the Chipmunk site says that my computer was built in week 31 (August). Which is it, do you suppose?