Please post your MB power consumption readings (System Profiler> Power>

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superczar, Nov 15, 2008.

1. superczar macrumors newbie

Would really appreciate if some of the new Alu (or old) Macbook owners can post their power draw readings while running on battery

Mine reads:

Display (dimmest) with wifi on: -744 mA

Display (medium) with wifi on: - 789mA

Display Max with wifi On : - 919mA

Full set of readings:

Here is how to get these readings:
    Open System Profiler>Power
    You need to refresh the readings (Command-R) a few seconds after changing the brightness (or any other setting that would change the power draw)

Reason why I am acting so fussy about these readings is here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=599506

Now I am trying to assess if the notebook is able to manage the power draw efficiently while running on batteries

I am in India while this notebook was bought in the US..
    Now even though the notebook is eligible for a DOA, the process is going to be a bit convoluted because it is an international DOA and seems like it may take upto 2-4 weeks :(

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Wow, maybe that's why my battery life sucks. -1352... screen at max, WiFi on, Bluetooth off, IR remote off, currently running Safari, Mail, and AOL (older version).

3. Mako5 macrumors regular

Mako5

Hmm now I am worried mine says

Amperage (mA): -923

at lowest display brightness and wifi on, Bluetooth off

4. priller macrumors regular

Amperage (mA): -923

Display lowest, wifi on, white SR macbook.

5. rybka007 macrumors newbie

For me it's impossible to get under 1200 even with the lowest settings, normally it displays 1500... In that case the problem is the battery or something else?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It varies with what kind of macbook you have. The older CCFL panels use more power than the newer LED backlit models. Some HD's use more power than others to keep spinning. Some WiFi networks will sap more power than others depending on signal strength.

7. rybka007 macrumors newbie

I have a new macbook alu, i am sitting 20 centimeters next to the wireless router:) And my macbook lasts at most 3.5 hours. Even though the capacity is 4120...

8. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

You also use less mA if you run when you're not plugged in and all the energy saving options are activated. Having Firefox or Safari or any other apps will use a lot more energy, by the way. Photoshop or any pro tool eat a lot of energy, even if they're idling.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

If you're sitting so close to the router you might be able to find an outlet, so you can just plug your laptop in :D
    No but seriously, if you're doing intensive stuff 3.5h is not that bad... If you're just browsing and have like 2 tabs open (not youtube or anything intensive) then you need to calibrate your batt or get a new one...

10. King Luis macrumors 6502

also, the amount of memory, type of video card and cpu all matter.

people should be giving a full spec list and have the same os/programs running.

ie: max brightness, wifi on, bt off, ir off and no accessories attached with laptop not plugged in.
    cpu:
    memory:
    hdd:
    video card:
    battery cycles: