Please provide advice: MacBook Pro Power Adapter caught fire

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPhonePhan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. iPhonePhan macrumors regular

Hi all,

Well this is my second subsequent post but it's not inside info, rather a solicitation for your advice.

Today, after returning from my trip, I noticed my MacBook Pro wasn't charging properly even though it was plugged into the power socket. I checked my MBP and the power socket and all looked great, until I looked at the adapter.

This is what I found :( :

It was blowing smoke and was actually catching fire. I unplugged it immediately. Now I'm all worried and imagining the worst: What if I left it plugged in, walked away, and it caught fire on my floor, right on the carpet, thus setting my home ablaze. :eek:

What am I supposed to do? Is there a class action lawsuit currently going on regarding this issue? I don't know if I should just give it to the Apple Store employees for a replacement because I'm sure Apple would rather destroy the evidence than have me keep it and maybe use it against them some day.

BTW, I'm not eager for a lawsuit, in fact far from it. But this worries me and I have good reason to be pissed off.

Thoughts?

Simple swap-exchange-return ?

Or get a new one and keep this as evidence, just in case? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

that looks like the old rectangle shaped ones.

They've revised the design, now its almost if not as small as the Macbook's.

but as far as wire wear goes, i'm not sure if its any different.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

That doesn't look good, and is giving me pause about leaving mine plugged in all night anymore.

The wire coming out of the adapter on mine is twisted, but it still works. But I am worried about it failing. It is without a doubt a poorly designed product, because within several weeks of use where I wound the wire up for transport at least once a day, it already started showing the 'kink' or 'twist' in the wire.

I'm wondering if I took mine to an Apple store whether they'd exchange it, even though it still works. It's just a matter of time before it fails, I'm sure.

5. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know about you but I know I won't ever leave my laptop plugged when I'm not either a) in the room or b) conscious (aka I'm sleeping).

6. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I'm holding off on giving back the burned adapter until I get more info. I have a backup so I'm not worried about it for now.

This totally sucks b/c I have a busted power adapter but then again it could have been much worse if caught my carpet and apartment on fire. :mad:

7. Michaud68 macrumors member

Well you are very lucky take it from one who knows I lost all my possessions and had to live in an apartment for a year while my house was rebuilt from a huge fire caused from a faulty lamp you never sleep the same after waking up to your home in a blaze of glory thats for sure looks like i wont be leaving mine plugged in after seeing that

8. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

when did they do that and how can you tell the difference ?

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Call Apple and report the problem. As soon as you mention 'fire' the agent should jump to replace it as it's a safety issue and they take that very seriously.

This is one reason why I don't use the little clips to wrap the cable around when transporting my power adapter - I coil the cable into gentle loops behind the adapter, ensuring the cable isn't twisted or pulled in any direction.

If you look at your power adapter, it's very rectangular (ie, it sits very tall when you have it plugged into the wall). The new versions are more square, its height and depth are approximately the same. (It looks very much like this one)

10. slabbius macrumors member

probably happened because you may wrap the cord too tightly around the plastic fingers on the brick. leave about a half inch of slack before wrapping as to take tension off the wire. The point of connection is the weakest spot in the wire.