Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

On a 15'' LED MBP, is a Matte or Glossy screen the best option FOR ME?

• Matte

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Glossy

Votes: 36 46.8%

• Total voters

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE VOTING

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry that I'm posting a topic fairly similar to one I posted not too long ago, but I'm in real trouble. I just can't decide between getting a matte or a glossy screen on a 15'' 2.2ghz MacBook Pro. I've been trying to decide for such a long time, and I find myself changing my mind several times during the day.
THINGS TO KNOW
-I definitely plan to use this laptop next to an Apple Cinema Display, which has a matte coating.
-I will sometimes be using it in classrooms or in a library
NOTE: In these places, I need to focused while working on various text and spreadsheet documents (basic schoolwork:)).​
-I will never be running any professional applications where I would need "accurate color"; the "most professional" application I would be using would be iWork and Microsoft Office (which I would be using for a lot of the time).
-I enjoy doing "multi-media" on my computer, such as streaming and watching videos or looking at pictures on the web.

So, after reading this, please vote on the screen which would most benefit ME.

Also, if you have any other method that someone could use to make this difficult decision, please tell me.

On another note, it would be great if you could comment on:
(A) How the matte/glossy screens have changed on MBPs since they switched to LED technology.
(B) "Eye strain" related to glossy MacBook Pro screens; keep in mind that I am pretty young.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME;)

Now go vote!!!

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
matte is much better for text documents and classroom environments. as well it will match your display.

go matte

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
There are a ton of posts comparing the matte and glossy screens and their pros and cons. If you are still confused, go take a look at both of them in the store. Regardless of what people say here, it's your call. People will advocate one or the other, but the strengths and disadvantages of each are clearly outlined, not only at this site, but all over the internet. Google is your friend.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Since you don't depend on color accuracy, you might as well get the glossy screen, as they look very nice. But next time use the search function; this topic has been brought up over and over.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
You're going to be in a classroom with windows and lights all around, with a primarily white screen if you're working with documents. Do you really want to see yourself in your own screen the entire time? Do you really want to have to actually think about blocking light sources with your head whenever there's a light or window behind you?

In other words, does glare bother you? If it does, don't get glossy...

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
And other thing, this is not the first post you have made regarding this topic. Quit reposting.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
(I'd go with matte because you're not doing pro. apps. that need perfect color. Matte would probably be better on the eyes. Especially since your doing classroom work. In the 3 years i've had my powerbook, 9matte screen), i've never had an eye strain. however when i go to the apple store, i do start to notice it when I use the macbooks. Matte would also compliment the cinema display.)

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
For Me, Glossy; For You, Matte

I've had two MBPs, the first with matte, this new one with glossy.

If they weren't using LEDs, I would still be using matte. However, the even distribution of light across the screen relly fixed alot of the problems inherent in a glossy display (now there's MUCH less reflection along the sides and corners).

Be that as it may, based on everything you stated, I placed a vote for matte. Unless you main focuses are watching DVDs, showing off your MBP to Windows users, or using your laptop in the dark more than in the light (all three of which are true in my case), the matte finish is overall the best for "multiple uses" (ie. word processing, some gaming, some dvds, using it during the day, etc).

Just my thoughts

cz

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Also, if you have any other method that someone could use to make this difficult decision, please tell me.

My guess is that neither will be perfect for you in all circumstances, in which case I would use the ancient decision making technique of 'tossing a coin'.

I'd then stop fretting about it and enjoy whichever one you get.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
glossy hands down. if you're not doing any print work where you need your screen to be color accurate, then IMO, the glossy screen is the easy choice - especially if you like to watch movies or other media on your laptop. as for those that said the matte screen would be better in classroom settings, i've had both (a matte screen on my old PB and a glossy on my old MBP), both of which I used in and out of classrooms and the library and I certainly never had a problem with the glossy whatsoever. Apple's glossy isn't as bad as some of the pc's - when looking straight on, you forget you even have the special screen.

I'd go with matte because you're not doing pro. apps. that need perfect color.
:confused: if you were doing print work and needed color accuracy, THEN you'd go for the matte...

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
You're going to be in a classroom with windows and lights all around, with a primarily white screen if you're working with documents. Do you really want to see yourself in your own screen the entire time? Do you really want to have to actually think about blocking light sources with your head whenever there's a light or window behind you?

First off, you need to realize that when you own a glossy screen, reflections are worst on a BLACK screen. On a WHITE screen almost all reflections are completely obliterated. (only shining a flashlight at the screen or having the sun shine RIGHT on it at mid-day will produce reflection on my glossy when displaying a white screen)

I've had a glossy laptop display for over 2 years now on a system I have used for absolutely anything and everything (photo editing, video editing, games, LOTS AND LOTS of Microsoft Office work in Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint, 3D modeling). I've had it in direct sunlight, dark rooms, low ambient rooms, outside during a bright day.

I also have a matte laptop that I also have done much of the same. Between my current glossy and matte, the glossy is at least 4 times more beautiful, sharp, vibrant, etc. Now when comparing MBP matte vs glossy with their REALLY bright LED backlights, the differences become MUCH MUCH smaller. I went into the Apple store to compare the two and also noticed MBP glossy is much more subdued than the glossy on my laptop at home. In my opinion, they shouldn't even offer a choice, because they look so darn similar and the glossy really isn't that glossy.

Anyway, based on my experience with glossy and the fact that I have used a glossy screen for so long in so many different places without any issues I decided on a glossy. It took me a while, because the MBP screens are already very nice in matte, but eventually I decided deeper blacks are really important to me.

There is really only one thing you need to test, and hopefully it is decisive, unlike it was for me. People who don't like glossy usually fixate on the fact that there are reflections in the screen and glare. People who don't like matte do not seem to notice these reflections. In most cases, people fall into these two groups, those who continually, consciously notice the reflections, and those who don't. It is completely subjective. It usually takes about a day of use to choose between the two if you don't have a decisive feeling.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
They were out of the glossy display at my apple store so I made the decision to go with the matte and I am extremely happy with it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There is a huge window right behind me right now that overlooks Baltimore City from the 15th floor of the building I am working in. There is no reflection on my screen, even when I move away from the laptop, there is nothing. The glossy screen is brighter, sharper, and gives much richer colors and makes viewing anything much better than the matte displays.

Go for the glossy. I was pro matte until I saw the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro glossies sitting right next to their matte counterparts and the glossies were just breathtakingly better.

The images below are pretty bad and the worst I could do to make a glare on the screen. I opened the blinds all the way, and turned on the over head fluorescent lights (which gave it the worst lighting possible YUCK!) and there is but a small piece of glare when I tilt the screen back toward the over head light.

Attachments

• Photo 62.jpg
    Photo 62.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo 64.jpg
    Photo 64.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 58
  • gloss 1.jpg
    gloss 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 99
  • gloss 2.jpg
    gloss 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 95
  • gloss 3.jpg
    gloss 3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 74

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Everyone, thank you very much for your great responses. After much thought (too much if you ask me), I have decided to go matte. I think I'll be very happy with it.

While this thread is still here, I guess I could spare you guys another post by just asking,

Is $65 (Edu. Discount) worth spending on the upgrade to a 160GB hard drive?

Will I experience any slowdown in videos (just simple streaming off the web or having multiple videos open at one time) with 128MB of VRAM if I connect this to a 30'' ACD?
Could this lack of an extra 128MB of VRAM slow down any video if I put it to high resolutions, with or even without using a 30'' AC?D​

Am I shooting myself in the foot in any way by getting only 128MB of VRAM considering that Leopard could "utlize" the more VRAM in some way or that more and more applications may "need" this extra VRAM? Keep in mind that I want to use this computer for at least another 2.5 years

Thanks, again.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Everyone, thank you very much for your great responses. After much thought (too much if you ask me), I have decided to go matte. I think I'll be very happy with it.

While this thread is still here, I guess I could spare you guys another post by just asking,

Is $65 (Edu. Discount) worth spending on the upgrade to a 160GB hard drive?

Will I experience any slowdown in videos (just simple streaming off the web or having multiple videos open at one time) with 128MB of VRAM if I connect this to a 30'' ACD?
Could this lack of an extra 128MB of VRAM slow down any video if I put it to high resolutions, with or even without using a 30'' AC?D​

Am I shooting myself in the foot in any way by getting only 128MB of VRAM considering that Leopard could "utlize" the more VRAM in some way or that more and more applications may "need" this extra VRAM? Keep in mind that I want to use this computer for at least another 2.5 years

Thanks, again.

My motto is "If you can afford the power, get the power" it will never do you wrong to get more VRAM or RAM or HDD space or anything. With the 5400 rpm drive you won't experience a big speed loss unless you are really taxing your hardware. When it comes to VRAM you will drive a 30" just fine... unless you are taxing your hardware with video rendering or something. But if you can afford the $500 for the extra VRAM and HDD space then go for it. If you can buy something else or just pocket the $500 for a new iPod or portable HDD then save the money.

When I got my book I went for the low end 15" when I could have had the 17" easy. But I took the $1000 I saved and bought a Seagate 750GB internal drive for my G5, a LaCie 320GB drive for my Aperture vault, a G-Tech 100GB portable for my MacBook, AppleCare, and a few other minor goodies. I haven't missed out on anything and I came out better for it with the HD space. I do know that my next book will be a quad core 17" with dual HDD though.

Since you want to keep the book for almost three years, I suggest really getting the AppleCare plan and if you have enough cash the upgraded book. If you have to choose get the upgraded book but you HAVE to get AppleCare before the year is up you won't regret spending the cash.

p.s. I think you should reconsider the matte and glossy thing... don't believe the hype about matte. Glossy is great.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
matte is much better for text documents and classroom environments. as well it will match your display.

go matte

Im REALLY REALLY INTERESTED in hearing the reasoning behind this one....

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
My motto is "If you can afford the power, get the power" it will never do you wrong to get more VRAM or RAM or HDD space or anything. With the 5400 rpm drive you won't experience a big speed loss unless you are really taxing your hardware. When it comes to VRAM you will drive a 30" just fine... unless you are taxing your hardware with video rendering or something. But if you can afford the $500 for the extra VRAM and HDD space then go for it. If you can buy something else or just pocket the $500 for a new iPod or portable HDD then save the money.

When I got my book I went for the low end 15" when I could have had the 17" easy. But I took the $1000 I saved and bought a Seagate 750GB internal drive for my G5, a LaCie 320GB drive for my Aperture vault, a G-Tech 100GB portable for my MacBook, AppleCare, and a few other minor goodies. I haven't missed out on anything and I came out better for it with the HD space. I do know that my next book will be a quad core 17" with dual HDD though.

Since you want to keep the book for almost three years, I suggest really getting the AppleCare plan and if you have enough cash the upgraded book. If you have to choose get the upgraded book but you HAVE to get AppleCare before the year is up you won't regret spending the cash.

p.s. I think you should reconsider the matte and glossy thing... don't believe the hype about matte. Glossy is great.
Thanks for the great response. I also could get the 17'' easy, but I feel I could use the extra money for other things. That means that I could get the 2.4ghz 15'', but then I definitely would not be able to get a 30'' ACD and maybe not even a 23'' ACD. I will get AppleCare before the year is up. I guess my question to you (and everybody else) is, "Is is better to get the 2.2ghz MBP with a 30'' Display or a 2.4ghz MBP with a 23'' Display?"

By the way, I chose matte because it's just what I've been used to my whole life, I know it can never distract or annoy me, and I know I will appreciate it and not resent it over time. Thanks for the advice, though;)

Anyone?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Thanks for the great response. I also could get the 17'' easy, but I feel I could use the extra money for other things. That means that I could get the 2.4ghz 15'', but then I definitely would not be able to get a 30'' ACD and maybe not even a 23'' ACD. I will get AppleCare before the year is up. I guess my question to you (and everybody else) is, "Is is better to get the 2.2ghz MBP with a 30'' Display or a 2.4ghz MBP with a 23'' Display?"

By the way, I chose matte because it's just what I've been used to my whole life, I know it can never distract or annoy me, and I know I will appreciate it and not resent it over time. Thanks for the advice, though;)

I would get the 2.4 and the 23" display. I work with a 30" and that thing is just huge, so if you don't have the desk space for it it's a tad bit too big. Other than the size it is the nicest display you will ever lay eyes on. I like the 23" size and price. I think it fits nicely between the prices of comparable displays made by HP and Dell. It is about $150-$200 more than theirs but offers you a much better build, FW 400 ports, a much better cable system, and ColorSync makes everything fit wonderfully (if you MBP monitor isn't that yellow tinted thingy I keep hearing about)

You won't miss the 30" display in a year when you can get it and sell your 23" to me for round about the same price, but you will miss the performance boost that you will get from the 02 GHz and the 128 MB of VRAM and 40 GB of HDD space. Especially after a year when your book is replaced. I don't see the big deal with those specs but some might, and if your only goal is the computer and a monitor then go for the 2.4 and the 23" and get the 30" later.

Just my $0.2, and I understand with the Matte... as long as it runs Mac OS X :D

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Well i'm definitely sure that i don't have your eyes.. The Glossy or Matte issue is and will always be a personal decision...

You obviously didn't read my previous post, where I was asking a question that had nothing to do with glossy or matte.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
You obviously didn't read my previous post, where I was asking a question that had nothing to do with glossy or matte.

I love your constant use of the bolding. Really adds something to your posts. In case you haven't realized from looking at both this thread and others in the forums, no one can tell you what you want. I know that may seem obvious, but you obviously haven't figured this out yet. Do you want a 23" monitor or do you want a 30" monitor? How someone else would know that is beyond me. Do you need a system that is .2 GHz faster, has a bigger hard drive, and has more VRAM? Once again, this is your call.

I am surprised that this thread has continued for so long.

In case you're curious, the button indicated in the picture below, not just for decoration:

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007

Look, you've posted on this thread four times, and I've added four additional posts to this thread as well. Here's what happened, you didn't contribute at all to what I was looking for. Here's what I did before making this thread: I researched several matte/glossy threads and saw that they were becoming repetitive, I also realized that I still couldn't make a decision. So, I actually made an effort to go "above and beyond" and actually make this thread different by stating exactly what I would be doing with the computer in a detail. This way, most the the people would respond taking me into their consideration before giving an answer. Guess what? This helped me! It's exactly what these forums are for: help.

I also asked other questions within this thread that were purely technical; such as:
1. Will I experience any slowdown in regular streaming off the web or having multiple applications going on while watching a video if I have the 128MB of VRAM? This can still be answered, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.