Please read need help! (Failing USB drivers due to iPhone jailbreak)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrclutter, May 12, 2009.

1. mrclutter macrumors newbie

Hi there folks

i need some help for a crippling situation. i wanted to modify some stuff on my iphone so i attempted a jailbreak but i was told to install a file called iousbfamily315.4 and it asked me to restart my comp so i did.

but when my computer came back on the usb devises were working for about 10 seconds and then they all turned off. and every time i start my computer they dont work. it works before it boots into mac os though because i have to hold down alt to boot into macos as i have bootcamp on my mac. so at the mo i can only use my computer in windows mode.

Soooo i am new to all of this modding stuff and i have no idea how to reset my usb drive or install firmware over it to get things working again and im struggling to find any answers online.

if any one can help me i would be most appreciative. im sure you can understand using a comp without a keyboard and mouse can really suck! :)

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Do you have it backed up (Time Machine)? If you do you could try resetting that way.

I don't know what company produces the jail-break software you are trying to use. You should have searched here for reputable company before trying it.

Good luck! :(

3. mrclutter thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm well im sure there must be a back up somewhere but i didnt specifically back it up before i did the install i didnt think something like this would happen.

And well i didnt even have the chance to jail break it because my mouse and keyboard are failing cause of the usb ports. Hopefully if i can get my mac up and running i dont think i will try and jailbreak it :(

by the way how do u run a back up before it goes into macos?

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

You computer issues have nothing to do with your iPhone and whether or not it is jail-broken. The issue is with the software that you loaded onto your computer to try the jail-break. Was the software from a reputable company or was it just something that someone gave you. If you get it back up and running it doesn't hurt your computer to try the jail-break again. Just do some research on the software before using it.

As far as backing it up outside of OS X. I don't know how you would go about doing this. but you should back everything up regularly in case something like happens. The easiest way is to get an external HDD and turn time machine on.

Try putting your OS X disk in and doing a repair.

5. mrclutter thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah next time i do something stupid like this im going to deffo back it up.

i got it from the apple development website so i cant really go wrong with that can i?

i just hope i dont have to format my computer!

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Looks like that package is a series of drivers and compatability tools that comes from apple.
    http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html

However, you don't need it! I would also suggest you look into reputable jailbreaking programs for your phone. Pwnagetool and QuickPwn are two different programs from the same developers (the iPhone Dev-Team folks are amazing, http://blog.iphone-dev.org/). All you need it their help.

As for fixing your system, this Apple support article may be useful. It looks like Archive and Install is a good option. This is for Tiger, but I imagine the same things apply.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9002950

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    10.5.7 fixes the DFU problem, thank god. No need to worry about this anymore :)

9. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Happened to me a while back. All you need to do is Archive and Install. You will notice everything starts working once it's booted from the CD, then just A&I.

FYI, don't download "patches" from internet forums, lol.

Though once you update to 10.5.7 afterwords, you won't need to worry about anything because DFU mode is enabled again.

10. mrclutter thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply guys its been helpful and sorry its taken me so long to get back to everyone. i managed to boot up using windows on my comp and i used mac drive to back up all my data.

when you say archive and install... does that mean like backing up all the data and then reinstalling mac os?

since i have access to my mac hard drive couldnt i over write the usb programming on my comp so my mouse and keyboard can be functional once more!?

11. Andy348 macrumors 6502

12. mrclutter thread starter macrumors newbie

can i install that from windows? i know that sounds silly but can i not extract the files and then write them over?