Please reccomend 5.1 speakers for laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LERsince1991, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

My friend wants to buy some speakers for about £40 or so for his soon to be uni room and doesn't really know what to get so can someone offer some reccomendations or something.

basically want to connect up to a laptop and have 5.1 speakers. but the laptop only has a headphone out so I'm thinking USB would be the best way but I haven't seen much with that.

Also interested in any good set of speakers. It doesn't have to be surround sound but would like 4 good speakers and a sub please.

Any help please?
    cheers
    Luke

2. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Logitech X530. Great surround sound for the price. Just recently purchased them for $94AUD. Works great with my Macbook Pro

4. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup, there in budget, thanks for the recommendation but how do you connect the system to your macbook pro? I mean, aren't they're 3 jack connections on this set of speakers?

5. johnmadden78 macrumors member

6. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

They would also be good. But because they are being plugged into a laptop I'm a bit weary as to what connections it requires?

7. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Yes you are correct there are 3 cables. 1 for front left and right, 1 for centre and 1 for back left and right speakers. Mine came with an adapter that you plug these 3 cables into and it converts it into your standard red and white female RCA sockets which you then just buy a 2RCA Male (red and white audio cable) to 3.5mm Male converter (headphone plug) that only costs a few dollars.

And everything working in surround sound. Hope this helps

8. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool, yeh thats probably the best option then, merge the channels into one

But with this are you constantly getting mono sound? i.e. same sound out of every speaker?

Or does it keep the left with the left and the right with the right?
    So does it keep stereo music stereo? So the left sounds would play out of the left speakers?

Thanks again!