Please Recommend A Bible Study App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gregpod9, Aug 19, 2014.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

Can someone recommend an excellent Bible Study App?

2. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I have been using Accordance for years. Of course, I have several thousand dollars of investment in it (top of the line scholar’s edition). But well worth it. Can’t imagine my work (pastor and seminary professor) without it.

5. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I have a variety of tools that I use:

Logos for Mac - terrific resources available but is extremely expensive. I was able to get a pretty extensive collection for it dirt cheap by picking up one of the old "Libronix" based software packages.

QuickVerse for Mac - It's ok. Resource window syncing never worked reliably for me, and the interface is a bit clunky.

eSword wrapped in Wineskin Winery - eSword continues to be my go-to Bible study software. It's interface is fast and clean, easy to search, easy to add personal notes and commentaries to individual verses, chapters, and books. When I want to focus on the Bible text itself, I prefer this over the other tools. It does require significant technical knowledge to get it running. (Wineskin Winery is basically a .ZIP file of executables that allow a Windows program to run on OSX without the need to have Windows installed)

TheWord wrapped in Wineskin Winery - Another Windows-based software that is like an expanded version of eSword.

Step Bible by Tyndale House - This is an amazing online resource, free. http://www.stepbible.org/

ESV Study Bible online - If you have purchased the ESV Study Bible, then you should've received a card that allows you to access the online version: http://www.esvbible.org/

What software (if any) are you currently using?

6. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

I use Logos for Mac.

I suggest you monitor their website for great discount deals - particularly around Christmas.

Meanwhile, think about the kind of resources that are important to you, as you can spend an awful lot of money on Logos. For example, do you require relatively simple home-study resources, or do you envisage conducting small study groups - when more resources would be invaluable?

The great thing about Logos is that you can buy the base packages and then upgrade to the next level as your requirements necessitate. From experience, when your birthday comes around, Logos provide a discount code to enable you to buy additional resources. I used this method to upgrade my previous Logos package, for example.

There's also a terrific user forum on Logos. I heartily recommend your joining this forum, and ask questions about Logos usage from experienced users before making a purchasing decision.

7. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

I recommend getting one that is the King James Version. I think Logos will let you choose what version it uses.

8. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

We each have our own preference for a given Bible translation.

The 'Starter' version of Logos comes as standard with 14 Bibles...

English Standard Version (ESV)
    Good News Translation (GNT)
    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    Lexham English Bible (LEB)
    The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of the Authorized English Version
    The Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV)
    The King James Version Apocrypha (KJVA)
    The Message (Complete OT/NT) (MSG)
    The New American Standard Bible, 1995 Update (NASB)
    The New Century Version Bible (NCB)
    The New King James Version Bible (NKJV)
    The New Living Translation (NLT)
    The New Revised Standard Version Bible (NRSV)
    The Revised Standard Version Bible (RSV)
    1901 American Standard Version (ASV)

Additional translations can be individually purchased thereafter.

Compare the difference between the Logos base packages, here - http://tinyurl.com/krqdgr9

Currently, use the code 'GETLOGOS5' to obtain 15% off any base package on the Logos website.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Another satisfied Logos user here.
    Thanks for the tip on stepbible.org, that really is awesome!

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think I might check that out, I have the OliveTree on my iPhone and like it.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Funny, on my iDevices I use the Bible app. I never looked for the Olive Tree for iOS.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I bought the Holman Christian Standard Bible a while go on Olive Tree so I've been using that mostly because I didn't want to re-purchase that translaton on another app :)

For me, that offers more precise translation then the NIV

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'm a strict King James only guy, so I don't worry about other versions. I look at different features and usability of the apps.