Please recommend a Dropbox text editor

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bollweevil, Apr 18, 2015.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.3. I have been using a version of PlainText (the app) from several years ago, and it is broken in several ways but it is still the best thing I have found.

I want a text editor that can edit plain text files stored in Dropbox. Ideally, I want it to sync to just a subdirectory of Dropbox, not the entire folder (PlainText used to have this feature).

It needs to sync to Dropbox, other cloud storage services need not apply.

Thank you.

2. Puonti, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

Puonti macrumors 6502a

I use an app called Notesy for this purpose (don't mind the old screenshot on the front page - the app's been updated with a more modern UI). It allows you to select a default folder within which you can navigate into subfolders if you want, so it should be good for you. If you set its default folder to / you can obviously get to every folder within your Dropbox.

As far as I can tell it only syncs the folder you are currently viewing, whether sync is activated manually or automatically. Personally I prefer manual sync (there's an easily accessible sync button in the lower-left corner of the folder view) - I've had some issues with automatic sync sometimes getting "stuck" while on a cellular connection.

Other than that I like it, and it's optimized for 6 and 6 plus.

3. jakeOSX macrumors regular

ByWord will do what you want. you can set it up to only look at a single directory. it uses markdown as well.