Please Recommend a Pair of Earphones/Headphones

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, May 14, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Lately i've been wanting to listen to my music everywhere and have been searching for a good pair of earphones/headphones.

I purchased these at Best Buy on a whim and trust me, they suck:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...uId=9499278&st=rocketfish earphones&cp=1&lp=5

My buddy have these Bose ones that sound pretty decent:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose&#1...Id=6655728&st=Bose_Audio_Headphones&cp=1&lp=1

The only thing is I wouldn't be caught dead walking around town and campus with these. They don't look too stylish (not to say I'm trying to be) and I also dont wanna announce i'm walking around with Bose headphones.
    Aside, my friend only uses them at home too.

These:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose&#1...Id=7997322&st=Bose_Audio_Headphones&cp=1&lp=2

The in-ear Bose I hear are pretty good, though personally enjoy the sound that comes with over the ear type headphones.

Now, i'm not talking about Skullcandy ones like these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Skullca...270462&skuId=9658499&st=skullcandy&cp=1&lp=10

these are ugly, but something over the ear that looks kinda...classic.
    (I sure do hope someone kinda knows what i'm talking about here.)

I saw someone walking around that had these black over the ear headphones on, with subtle silver lining, kinda like something a music producer would've worn a few decades back. Something like that, of course sound is a huge factor.

Anything would be a step up from those crappy RocketFish in ears.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm confused... do you want actual over-the-ear headphones or do you want earbuds? There's usually quite a tradeoff between price and SQ with earbuds.

3. noaccess macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of sound, but I'd like to ask if this is the type of headphones you'd like, in terms of design:
    [​IMG]
    These are the AKG K 272 HDs, and they actually match what you described seeing someone wear, and I think they do look like something someone would use in a recording studio.

I'd agree that these look pretty classic in a way, if this is what you meant in the first place, and in that case, I'd say the AKG line would be what you're looking for, design-wise. Sound-wise, I'm not sure, as these are typically very neutral-sounding headphones, and to some are too boring and uninvolving.

4. jetoo macrumors member

If you like music with Bass (Hip Hop, R&B) then you can go with the Beat by Dr Dre (Monster).
    They are very good, a little bit too expensive but worth every penny.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have a pair of these sweet babies. They're open-backed (not sure if you want that), but the range isn't bad (especially not for price) and they fit over the whole ear, not clamp the lobes down. I use one pair at work and one at home, and they're lasted quite a while. A bit clunky, though..

If you really wanna pimp out, try these or these. Sweeeeet.. :cool:

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I am going to have to disagree.

I own them, and have now had to replace them twice. Kicker is, I hardly use them, and they are kept in the case.

First pair side of the ear piece started coming off. Now this pair the headband is separating from the unit on one side.

IMO the build is crap, and I am thinking of requesting a refund. BTW I paid 349, early adopter fee.

Sound great yes, quality product- no.

7. ZizousamA macrumors member

I have the B&O earphones and they are great. Their design is not that good looking but its build quality is impressive. They are the best I've tried, but I haven't tried much. I tried the Dr.Dre Monster in ear phone, they suck. I tried the Bose in ear ones and they are better than Dre's. The B&O is the best among those build quality wise and performance wise. I love them. I have been constantly using them for the last 7 months and they are it. I don't know how they stack up against other brands, but they are great. Worth every penny in my opinion. They don't provide noise cancellation but the performance is just astounding.

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

If you're an America, take advantage of it and get yourself a pair of Grado SR-60s. Burn them in and use them, you'll be in a different world. Soon after, you'll want some larger ones for at home, and then you'll want a headphone amp, and then you'll want a DAC, and so on and so forth.
    Seriously though, get those SR-60s.

9. danielcox macrumors member

^^SR-60s are great, as are HD555s and the k272s. beyerdynamic do some very classic looking headphones and are excellent.
    Do NOT go for Beats, Bose or Skullcandy.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use Shure SE530 earphones and Sennheiser HD650 headphones. They're both quite great.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have read terrific reports about - and friends have also recommended - Shure, especially at the more advanced (ie more expensive) in-ear-phones. Will consider them in the future.

At the moment, I have a set of Bose ear-phones (good, but beginning to show their age, they are five years old and have been used a lot). For in-ear (buds), I have a Bang & Olufsen pair - bought a year and a half ago, and must say that they are over-rated. More recently, I bought a set of Sennheiser IE 6 in-ear phones, and they are excellent.

Cheers

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

For real headphones I have a pair of ultrasone proline 705's that sound great and are very comfortable.

For earbuds check out products by etymotics, I forget which ones I have but they were around $150.00 or so....Ive been through two pairs of the Shure e2cs and the etymotics blow the shure stuff away.