Please recommend a to-do app for my specific needs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbg232, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I have been researching to-do apps for awhile and can't seem to find one that meets all my requirements. There are a LOT of to-do apps, but if you know of one that meets ALL of these requirements, please list it.

1. Must have native mac, iphone, and ipad app
    2. Must have web interface to access and change to-do's from my work pc (which is just on the internet and which I can't install any programs onto - it's a terminal machine) - this is the killer feature that I need but most programs don't offer
    3. Must be cloud based such that all 4 devices (home mac, work pc, iphone, and ipad are automatically synced - no manual syncing)
    4. Does not have an annual subscription fee (ie, after you buy the apps, that's all you need to pay for)
    5. Not wunderlist - it's what I've been using but is way too buggy - hence why I'm trying to find something else

BTW, the actual to-do list does not need to be complicated in the least, I only need basic functionality like reminders, the things I need are listed above.

Thanks

2. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Evernote is more of a notes app (which I already have) - doesn't really do to-do's very well.

3. Nikh macrumors regular

Why do you need Cloud based/Web interface solution, while you have an iPhone, on which you always can check your tasks or add new ones?

4. timbos macrumors member

I use taskpaper, which syncs through Dropbox. I think it meets your criteria

5. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Because it's much easier to quickly type in tasks on a real keyboard at work than my iphone.

Doesn't seem to have a web interface for me to use at work...

6. Ggarza macrumors newbie

Native apps and iCloud plus 2Do (optional)

Hello,
    It seems to me that the regular apps in Mac OS and IOS would do the trick for you:
    In the iPhone and the iPad use Reminders for your To-Dos
    In the mac at home those Reminders become part of iCal
    At work you can manage them in the Calendar part of iCloud
    Everything would be in sync through iCloud

Optionally you could use 2Do in the iPhone/iPad to access the data in Reminders and still have it synchronized to iCloud

7. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

You can't manage the reminders section of Calendar on the iCloud web interface (a terrible oversight imo)

8. Sixth Street macrumors member

The closest solution I believe is Producteev. The only one of your must haves it doesn't satisfy is the native iPad app. But the apps and sync are completely free all around so you can at least give it a try.

http://www.producteev.com/

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, you can. I add and update my to-do's from the web interface all the time.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm looking for a similar app ... but it must also have offline access.

I don't mind paying for it. Tried Wunderlist and many other free apps, they were either too buggy or too ad driven.

Remember the Milk is great software, but no offline access. Things is over rated imo, no contexts. Omni Focus is excellent, but pricey. Get what you pay for in the 'To Do' apps section I think.

There is rumor of Evernote adding a To Do function but I have no idea when.

Could try Google Tasks?

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Doit.im I think satisfies all your wishes. Web, iPhone, iPad, Mac.

And it has all the different options regarding GTD but it is flexible.

When you search in the app stores make sure to search doit.im otherwise if you don't include the dot you'll get a bunch of other todo apps.

13. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

How are you doing this? - when I open it up I can't seem to do so.

I will be researching producteev (website down - a bad sign) and doit.im

Re: google tasks - no really good mac interface (aside from the web) because google hasn't made the api public

Re: exchange - way too buggy with icloud to be reliable

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

On the calendar page, click on the gear icon in the top right corner and select Show Reminders

15. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm an absolute todo app junkie. So much so that I've been laboring over a new Web site about time management and productivity apps. That doesn't make me an expert, but a well-seasoned experimenter.

From what you've described, I'd go with Toodledo.com as your root. That is, the hub that provides your Web access and syncing. You don't need to pay for a premium account if you don't need sub-tasks and a few other bells and whistles.

From there, you have several options that will sync flawlessly with Toodledo.com. My favorites, in order, are:

1. 2Do
    2. Todo (Appigo)
    3. Toodledo

16. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

But you can't add reminders from the web interface (only view them)

17. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Hmm, this seems perfect, how is the cloud syncing with the toodledo back engine - buggy at all? That was my huge problem with wunderlist.

18. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes you can, under in the gear icon menu there is an option for "New Reminder"

19. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Wow, I've never noticed that before, I have no idea why. Thanks!

20. Mac In School macrumors 65816

First, I should mention that I wasn't completely clear with my description. I didn't separate Mac from iOS device.

Mac:

Todo (Appigo)

iOS Devices:

2Do
    Todo (Appigo)
    Toodledo

No problems that I haven't been able to live with. Only two minor issues come to mind:

1. Sort order won't always match. Each app simply handles them a little differently.

2. If you're using Toodledo Premium (for Subtasks), 2Do puts a note in the notes filed of the parent Todo that tells the system it's a "checklist" task. I don't think this will apply to you, and a little extra text in a note isn't a big deal anyway.

21. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've switched entirely to Firetask. Has a Mac, iPhone and iPad version. It's easier to use than Omnifocus, as beautiful and easy as Things and more powerful. Has free OTA sync capabilities. It has one great feature which allows you to mark a task as "in progress" instead of just "done" and "complete."

As far as a web interface, I'm not sure about that one.

22. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Just looked this one up per your recommendation. Seems very promising.

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

My needs list is almost exactly the same as the OP's. Unfortunately, Firetask does not have a Web app.

24. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

You would think that a company would recognize that this is a pretty common wishlist for a to-do app given the amount of them out there!