Please recommend accessories for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by usmaak, Jan 25, 2016.

1. usmaak macrumors regular

I just got a 2015 15" MBP for Christmas, to replace my aging MBA. I have had a Speck shell on my MBA for years, and it's been perfect. I bought a Speck shell for this new computer, and noticed that the bottom of the case catches the hinge when opening the screen. I just sent it back to Apple today. I ordered a couple of cases from Amazon:

This one had the same issue with the hinge as the Speck. Not as bad, but still an issue:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5ZDR1O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

This one doesn't have the hinge issue, but the edges are really sharp and are cutting in to my wrists while typing:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK36R1O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Does anyone use a shell that they really love and can recommend?

Also, what can I do to protect the area my wrists rest on? For the MBA, I had a set of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897D3OQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I can't use them on the MBP, because I can't close the screen on them. The distance between the screen and the bottom is much less. I suppose that I could throw them on and then take them off when done. That's what I do with my keyboard cover. Is there something else that would be better?

Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never used a shell or keyboard cover on any of my Macs. I don't use a case on my iPhones or iPads either.

I'd buy a good bag though. I've got a Timbuktu backpack that I use when I'm traveling.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Only used sleeves when I need to carry it in my backpack. No more whatsoever.

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Same

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep never used anything but a good laptop bag for carrying it around 2 years later and it's still spotless.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have used a Speck shell on 4 different MBPs and never a problem. A big reason for it is that I find the case slippery and without the shell I would probably drop it.

7. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

I really liked the Speck shell on my MBA. I bought it for my MBP, and noticed that the hinge was catching on the bottom part of the shell. It didn't do that for the MBA one that I had.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

All hardshells add next to no protection, extra bulk and can even lead to scratches due to dust settling between the case and the body.

Try another shell, maybe yours was defective, it happens with mass produced stuff.

9. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. And I've always used them to try and protect from scratches. I like to try and keep my stuff looking as new as possible. Maybe I should just not waste the money.

10. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

seems kinda crazy to cover such a beautiful machine, but then expect $5.00 worth of plastic to protect metal

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Really the only reason I use a hardshell is so that I don't drop it. Same for the iPhone and iPad.

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

The dust in case is an issue. Scratches would only happen when you put it in a bag without sleeves. Placing your MBP on lap or table would not scratch it.

13. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

I use a work given backpack no sleeve/case to carry mine and if travelling its in a laptop section of my lowepro bag meant for camera gear primarily (again sans sleeve/case).

Something's to consider.

If pristine years form now on resell you may not get the extra money for that, or as much as you'd like. I do this with some high end gear like camera equipment. I appreciate an owner who babied their gear as it were but I don't pay the extra money for that. I have had some necro pm replies out of the blue where my fair but less than asked for offer suddenly looked good enough to take. thought mint would fetch them more cash, found out it doesn't always work like that. YMMV may vary here as it could work possibly. Thing with laptops is its being sold for the obvious reason its older and obviously not wanted anymore so has you a small disadvantage.

gear is meant to be used and not a museum piece. Just my opinion here. I use mine all over. I don't throw it around but its not handled delicately bomb squad style either. I use backpack arrangements that carry it nice and don't rub it too much but...I am not several degrees of Monk about it. Overtime bag "rub" may happen. YMMV again but this not end of world to me. Does it still work, what I care about most.

My case can also be unique. I know most gear I buy (apple or otherwise) will become hand me downs to my son later. Got my mid 15 last year, my son after wipe and rebuild got my late 11 that it replaced. 3 or so years from now....history may repeat itself here. Son has a good laptop...best not whine about a few dings on it lol.

14. LxHunter macrumors 6502

That is what I have seen.
    Shell doing more harm than good.

15. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular