Please Recommend an Online Storage Solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I'm not really sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I have experienced the idisk part of MobileMe and it looks really useful. However, I was wondering if there was a free alternative to this, as I don't want MobileMe email and all the other stuff it comes with.

I have looked at Google Docs but that doesn't support all file types so I'm likely to run into problems storing keynote or iwork files.

Any advice would be fab.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Is this just for BackUp?
    Could you just email everything to a GMail account?

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Dropbox, Its what idisk should have been to be honest.

http://www.getdropbox.com/

Works on PC and Mac, secure and allows you to recover deleted files. Been using it for a week now and it is awesome. Free for up to 2GB of data, if you need more you have to pay.

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

No, eventually it will be used for people in my church leadership team to be able to share files such as documents/presentations we are working on.

Thanks, I will have a look at that.

I have also seen one called File Qube which looks quite good as you can create an upload widget to display on your website. Would be good if there was something similar to display a list of files on the website though.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could still use GMail for this. Just create a common account and give everyone the password.

DropBox sounds like it's a better solution for you, though.

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I have had a look at DropBox and it appears to be exactly what I'm after. I love the fact that it instantly starts synchronising the files between several computers. The low storage space might be a problem, and I think the upgrade options are a little expensive, so if anyone else can suggest anything, please do, as I would like to test as many options as possible.

Thanks again

7. sajo macrumors newbie

Your best bet could be using cyberduck with Amazon S3 or Rackspace Cloud...its 15 cents a GB/month so nearly free with great reliability

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I think you might be surprised how far 2GB will go I have

2046 Excel spreadsheets - some of which are pretty large
    926 Word and Pages documents
    182 Powerpoint / Keynote presentations

all of these are only taking up 64% of my 2GB space allocation. Really the only types of files that eat space are video and photo. From you expected document usage, I don't think you will have a problem.