Please recommend display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RYANL27, Aug 22, 2009.

1. RYANL27 macrumors newbie

I have a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (the pre-unibody one), and I'm looking for a nice 24-inch-ish monitor to pair with it. I've looked at the Apple Cinema Display, but I'm slightly deterred by the cord-length and the price. Could you please recommend a similarly nice monitor that might be easier to connect (longer cord) and cost less (Sub-$500 would be great)? Sorry for the newbie question, but I did a search and got bogged down in talk of varying resolutions, etc. I'm just an average Mac user - internet, word processing, movies - but I want something sharp and as close as possible to the Mac display - if that's even possible. Also, I'll be connecting/disconnecting it daily, so convenience is a factor.

Thanks for any help.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could check out this display, it is 24" and costs $499, although you'll have to wait until October for it to come out.

EDIT:
    Actually, that previous one uses the DisplayPort. So you wouldn't be able to use it, another choice would be to check out Dell's 24" monitors such as the S2409W, it doesn't sound like you'll need it to be completely color accurate like for photography. So that monitor should work well for you and in the Dell Outlet it can be had for less than $200 :)

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I'll be buying the HP w2338h monitor soon. It's very much like the Apple LED display, just without the webcam.
    If you do go with that display, these two numbers will come in handy. Search for these on monoprice.com: 5311 and 4956.

4. RYANL27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. I'll check out both monitors. Will they be easy to connect to my MB Pro? Do I need an adaptor?

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

For the HP, just the two items I pointed out on monoprice.com ;)

6. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

If you could stretch to $599, the 24" ACD shows up in the refurb store quite often.

7. redshft macrumors member

Stay away from Dell. I purchased a brand new 2409W directly from Dell's site and had it quit working on me after one week. I had to go through a bunch of crap with their HORRIBLE customer service and tech support for them to finally send me a new one 3 weeks later.

8. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I agree with this comment about Dell Customer Service. I've had 2 Dell laptops (both with their Business next day warranty) and I had to call them out 3 times. On no account did they come 'Next Day', it took weeks to get them to agree to come out at all. I wouldn't go near them!

9. foodle macrumors 6502

His pre-unibody MBP would not be able to drive it, since the machine has no mini displayport connection.