Please recommend me Wii and DS games..

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ::Lisa::, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Can someone tell be about Super Paper Mario? I hear such good stuff about it but I know nothing about it. I also want some game recommendations too. I normally like platform games, I realise the Wii is more 3D gaming and all. I like stuff like Mario, Rayman, Mario Party (have that) love the minigames on it, Racing games but only fun ones like Mario cart.

Like anything that's wacky and fun.

For more info on what I like, here's what I have.....

Wii:
    -Mario Party 8
    -Wii Play
    -Wii Sports

DS:
    -Animal Crossing Wild World
    -Mario Party DS
    -Super Mario 64
    -Super NEW Mario World
    -Yoshi's Island
    -Nintendogs
    -Tetris DS
    -Princess Peach (my 4 yr old daughters)
    -Mario Cart
    -Trauma Centre (under the knife)
    -Sims 2
    -Sims Pets
    -Starfox Command

Thank ever so much for reading all that (if you got this far) and for commenting (if you do)

-Lisa

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Super Mario Galaxy. It is an absolute b**ch of a game, but so much fun :D

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I am currently enjoying the following:

Super Mario Galaxy - Really loving this game. I'm not very far, but it is fun and you can play it in small time spurts (that's important for me as I can't usually just sit down and play for 2 hours).

Super Paper Mario - This is the first Paper Mario game I've played and it is a cool blend of old school platformer with a cool modern twist. Update: I didn't read your post all that carefully and just realized you asked specifically about this game so I'll try to add a little more. It starts out like Super Mario Bros. but you have a special ability to flip into a 3D mode in order to solve puzzles and find items that are hidden. Again, I am not very far at all as I just got the game, but I am really liking the little bit that I have seen.

Zelda - I think I am about half way through it, and it is a great game.

If you like old-school games, be sure to buy some Wii Points and try out the Virtual Console Games.

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

For wacky and fun I'd have to recommend Zack & Wiki

You play an aspiring pirate who goes around with a flying golden monkey that can turn into a bell that turns creatures into objects... How is that not wacky?

The puzzles to solve are fairly complex and very satisfying, I've been having a lot of fun playing it so far. It's actually a tossup most nights between that, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3... If only I didn't need the small amounts of sleep that I manage to squeeze in.

5. Aranince macrumors 65816

6. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Needless to say get Super Mario Galaxy-- one of the few games that I finished 100%, and I'm now playing it through again-- typically I don't do that.

Paper Mario is fun. finished that one too. Nice mix of RPG and a bit of platforming. Would recommend for sure.

Zelda on the Wii is still unfinished. I got kind of bored with it, and the same goes for the DS Zelda, Phantom Hourglass. Like the game tons, but that repeated dungeon is a turn off.

7. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow thank you all for the replies. I'll try answering them all :D If you recommend a game, please could you specify if it is a Wii or DS title, thanks :D

I am going to put that on my wish list. Thanks ever so much for posting.

Glad to hear you are liking Super Mario Galaxy also. Definitely have this on my wish list.

As for the comment about Super Paper Mario, thanks for explaining it. It sounds perfect for what I want. I'm definitely adding this one too. Thanks again for explaining.

I've heard of Zelda before but to be honest SNES era, it never appealed to me, but it might now. I've seen on the TV adverts that he goes fishing and that but what else is there? He is on an adventure but what for? I think Zelda might be hubbies cup of tea more but I might still like it so I'll add it anyway.

I have a few games downloaded from Wii points and the virtual console also :)
    Thanks ever so much for posting.

LOL it does sound fun. I assume it's a Wii game as you said it was a toss-up between that and Super Mario Galaxy (which is Wii). Thanks ever so much for posting.

Thanks ever so much for posting. Please could you explain a little more about this?

Excellent, yes they do sound awesome. I don't normally repeat neither. Well not for ages of not playing. Typically my favourite Mario is Super Mario 3, the one with the raccoon tail that can fly lol. All these sound great. I think I'd probably feel the same about Zelda but I don't know until I try.

What is Phantom Hourglass? Is that a DS or Wii? My hubby likes fantasy games and turn related games so might be more his cuppa. Thanks ever so much for posting.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Any of the Phoenix Wright games for DS. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow is a great game!

And I ditto everything others are recommending.

The receptive dungeon in Zelda:pH didn't bother me, it's not like it was hard or excruciatingly long or something. It only takes a few minutes to make it through that dungeon and it has lots of shortcuts. :eek:

<]=)

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is for the DS. I have it and love it but if you didn't even like the SNES version (Link to the Past) you probably won't like Phantom Hourglass, which is unfortunate because the game is fun and challenging. It uses the DS's touchscreen far better than any other game that I've seen.

10. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting. I'll check those out.

Thanks for posting. I guess I didn't explain properly or you misunderstood but I said that the SNES version of Zelda never appealed to me, meaning I've never ever played it. I haven't played any of the Zelda's for that reason. Mind you, it's not just me anymore now. I have a famiy so if I do buy it and don't like it, there's bound to be someone that does now. Thanks again :)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I found it very hard to get into Link to the Past (the SNES one). I've bought it for the GBA and the Wii and I've never completed it nor had any compelling urges to play through unlike other games in the series. But I don't half love the rest of the series! Each game plays very differently from the rest I find!

12. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Wii
    - Trauma Centre

DS
    - New Super Mario Bros.
    - Mario Kart
    - NY Times Crossword

13. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

DS

Zelda Phantom Hourglass.
    Nintendogs.
    New Super Mario Bros.

Wii

Zelda Twilight Princess.
    Resident Evil 4.
    Super Mario Galaxy.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I started playing LttP on the SNES, then on an old Mac, then on the GBA, then on my old DS where I actually completed it. It took me like 13 years to beat the dam game. :)

Anyway, it's a great Zelda, by far the best of all of the 2D overhead style. My ideal Zelda would be a 2D Wind Waker style -- so Minish Cap -- applied to a new Zelda as deep LttP. LttP had so much to do and wasn't overly easy like Zelda:MC or Zelda:pH.

<]=)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For me it's either Link's Awakening or Minish Cap.
    The thing about LA (and Aria of Sorrow) is the player is thrown into the game and it's never fully explained what's going on until the ending. Your told what happens in LttP rather early in the game and you're just going around fixing the outcome. If the gameplay is simple and the goals are obvious then there should be such little handholding so the player learns (within constraints).

Needless to say I'm using this style of direction in my own game :)

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Super Paper Mario hasn't been said yet??? That game was so much fun! It's a mix between platformer and RPG (much more platformer this goaround than previous versions of the game) and you use the Wiimote to toggle between 2D and 3D. It's not super challenging and uses more curiosity/examination to make difficulty, not tough bosses or whatnot. Excellent Mario game to pick up.

As for games already suggested, I will also say Mario Galaxy, just purely sweet game. Along with that goes Twilight Princess if you are a Zelda fan. If you haven't liked Zelda games before, you likely won't enjoy this one, but it is really as great as they come. For the quickgamer, Big Brain Academy is a fun pick up. For $50 it's not a great value, but for parties it's a great alternative to Wii Sports or Wii Play. Also beware that Big Brain Academy doesn't work so amazingly if you don't have someone to play with, but many minigame releases are like that.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I never played Link's Awakening. DAM MY DS FOR NOT SUPPORTING GB/C carts! :(

Yeah, LttP was direct, but it keep things moving and it was still a challenging game with lots of avenues that opened up later. The only reason I finally played through LttP, was because I had just finished Minish Cap and wanted more. MC was so good on so many levels, if only it had more items like LttP, was longer, and not sooo freaking easy -- i don't like this trend with newer games -- it would easily be my quintessential Zelda. Visually it's already to that point for me.

Sorrow sucked me in from the get go, not because of the story, but because of its weapon system. It's been a LONG time since any game has really enthralled me with its story telling, mainly because so many things are rehashes and even worse the writing now days is an insult compared to when I was young. I loved game stories like from The Dig or original Shock. I was dreaming about these games, I can't say that about so much of the new stuff.

What's off-topic... :)

<]=)

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Wii
    -Excite Truck (until Mario Kart Wii Comes out)
    -Metroid Prime 3
    -Super Paper Mario
    -Super Mario Galaxy
    -Zelda Twilight Princess

If you don't get at least one of these you're really missing out on the fun the Wii has to offer.

DS
    -Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    -Tetris DS
    -Any number of great GBA games

Much of the fun I've had with the DS has been in multiplayer games (Tetris, Puyo Puyo, etc).

19. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I think Links Awaking on the Game Boy was better than Link to The Past. I couldn't get into the latter.

20. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow thanks everyone for the replies. I wasn't expecting this many. I've added these to a TextEdit file for reference to what I'm going to buy. I think I'm definitely going to buy all Wii games as we only have 4 right now. We have tons of DS games.

Here's what I have listed on the 'definitely buying' list...

Wii:
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Paper Mario
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Zack & Wiki
    Trauma Centre

Thank you all very much for taking the time to comment and recommend, explain etc. I really do mean that :D

As for the other recommendations which are.. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Metroid (for wii, we have DS one), Zelda DS game, and finally Resident Evil I will still probably buy but they look to be husbands cup of tea so he will use them and I'll try them out either way. :)

Thanks again for all your help!

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You think! Well, I haven't played Awakenings, so couldn't get into it either, so I think LttP is better. :p

Anyway, I errrrrrr, well, I have Z:LA on my DS now via Lameboy. I will be buying the cart so I don't feel guilty. I'll play this one to completion so i can see how I like it in comparison of the other Zeldas. Then I can share my Zelda opinion. :) I wish I could get the save game off my Oracle of Ages cart, since I'll be able to play that game now.

<]=)

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Mario Strikers Charged was lots of fun with friends...

I'm enjoying RE:UC...although slowly :)

I here good things about MoH: Heros 2

Then Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Legend of Zelda are all staples...

DS

Contra 4 very hard, but alot of fun.
    Advance Wars, although you might wanna weight for the next one...which should be released soon.

Also Geometry Wars is great, although I've only played it on Xbox 360

23. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I would recommend

Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy (if you haven't gone out and bought this yet then buy it tomorrow! :) )

DS
    "My Word Coach" is a cool game that would keep you coming back for a long time

24. masterteddy0 macrumors newbie

ok heres all mine

WII
    --------------------------------------------------------------

i have super mario galexy its a great game with many secrets ( 6/10)

super paper mario or paper mario on virtual consol are VERY good games and i higly reccomend ( 9/10)

trama center new blood is LIKE the one for the ds but VERY diffrent..higly reccomed it but dont the the other wii verson..its a difrent name but exactly the same as under the knife ( 8/10 )

zelda for the wii is a VERY VERY LONG game but its magorly fun..there IS killing but not like way to much or all the time like some other games ( 10/10 )

fire emblem for the wii (radient dawn or path of radianse )are both VERY good games..however if you die its not a total game over unless your main charter dies..that is nice and is a very good killing game as long as you have a brain =D and you get tons of charters per level (and only *you pick* so many can be used in each level with 1 or 2 neccary) ( 9/10 for radance and 10/10 for dawn)

my sims is a very creative game using your sims in 3d where you can make your own things and the possabiltys are REALLY ENDLESS if you need something build it and then chance your towns people or get new ones! move people and do whatever you want! ( 10/10 )

DS
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    phamtom hourglass is to long and to many floors but is a great game and the nintendo wifi without friend codes is asome (7/10)

magical starsign is a asome game were you pick good or evil get a team and save the universe (or not)
    you can power your self up twice with action command and planet alianment ( 8/10)

drawn to life is a cool game but you CAN NOT make really what you want like wii sims..its just a big rpg and a couloring book..coulor the sun (in the lines) coulor you (in the lines ) coulor everything (in the lines) mainly..boo ( 4/10 )

PS

do you want me to rate good gamecube games to because the wii playes gamecube ya know? =D

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

If you do get Trauma Center for the Wii make sure it's New Blood, Second Opinion is just a remake of the DS version (both are awesome though).

Since you have the Wii pretty much covered I'm going to recommend some DS games, you must absolutely MUST get Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, both are excellent games, some people didn't like PoR but I thought it offered tons of interesting gameplay mechanics, either way both are worth buying.

Mario & Luigi Partners in Time is also a pretty good game, the personality and charm the art and the animation has is unparalleled, seriously, I don't think I've seen better renditions of Mario & Luigi in any other game... and this game isn't even made by Nintendo!

Elite Beat Agents is a nice game as well, once you beat it, you'll find yourself always coming back to it to play a few songs just to relax a bit, in my opinion this one is a must-have.

You should check out Phoenix Wright, there are 3 games already but you should start with the first one, they are pretty engaging games if a text-driven adventure with a lawyer theme sounds like your kind of thing.

I'll write some more when I remember them.