Please recommend software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ring, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ring, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012

ring macrumors regular

Hi. I use a Base key system for my password authentication (Meaning I write down the first part of the password, aka the key, and I memorize the longer second part of the password called the base). I have been using a popular sync utility called evernote to sync my usernames/keys between my mac/iphone/ipad. However, it is not encrypted or remotely secure. Yes, I know evernote does support some encryption, however this is only for desktop clients and it is no where near what I am looking for.

So: I ask the genius hive mind of macrumors, what is the best way to securely sync (preferably strongly encrypted) text between iOS/Mac

Note: I am not looking for something like lastpass / 1password, I understand the benifits of such programs and have come to the conclusion that they just won't work for me.

Thank you, and as always

Love,
    F401

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It might help if you explained how you came to this conclusion.

B

3. ring thread starter macrumors regular

I use a custom format for my Key formula

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So do I, several in fact, but 1Password let me store them individually. You don't need to use its password generators to use them to store passwords.

B

5. ring thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, I don't want to store the base of the password anywhere, and I am not very keen on paying money (especially the amount they are charging) to the folks at 1Password...

They have a few practices that I'm not super keen on..

I would like to use truecrypt for this, but then I could not access this on my iPhone synced

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At some level you get what you pay for. With 1Password you get cross platform capabilities that integrate nicely with Dropbox. Even if you just want to use the software to store secure notes.

No one says you need to store the password in that field as opposed to your custom hint...

What level encryption are you looking for?

B

7. ring thread starter macrumors regular

Anything as strong, or stronger than AES. I frequently use AES-Twofish-Serpent

My evernote libraries of keys (parts of my password, that go with the parts i have memorized) are a mess. I have several different things in several different places, and that Is the way I like it..

I have considered lastpass, but I don't think that would be write either..

I thought about using DayOne, the diary app, to sync the text I want.. However I'm not sure what encryption it has, but it will certainly be less public than evernote (not that evernote is public, it just stores everything in plain text on the server)...