Please recommend speakers for my 08 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by irishgrizzly, Jan 24, 2010.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've got a set of z-5500 already that I use with optical. I'd like to get another set as an add-on. Will have to use a splitter from the audio jack.

Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers that;

1. Are loud.

2. Are under $200

3. Have a built in amp (I'm guessing this is needed - ie my Mac Pro can't do the job of an amp?)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Z-5500s aren't loud enough?

I normally recommend the Swan M10s, but if it's loudness you want. Perhaps the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s. Do you want an extra sub?

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I have always liked (and indeed have) harman kardan soundsticks. Loud, punchy and very neatly designed.:)

4. goMac macrumors 603

What do you mean as add on? Just extra sound?

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks for the replies. To give a little more information; the z-5500s are plenty loud, but I'm going to be getting these extra speakers for a party – running them to another part of the house (where you won't hear the z-5500 so well).

The size of them isn't a problem (I'm not looking for tiny sit-on-a-desk speakers). Just ones with the points above and the ability to run a cable a long way to meet them (maybe 15m-20m). So they will probably need there own power (in case the signal will be too weak over that distance).

6. gdieter macrumors member

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Perhaps some cheaper pro monitors: Behringer or M-Audio.

8. goMac macrumors 603

Whatever you get, an Airport Express would take care of that range problem.

9. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If I use the z-2300, it takes RCA cable. I'm going to need to use a long (could be 20 metres) cable. Will I need a special cable for this length, using this setup? (Mac Pro > splitter > RCA > z-2300). ie ones that doesn't drop signal if that's possible.

Also is there a difference in using the audio out at the back of a Mac Pro and the headphone jack?

Sorry for any obvious questions, I spend time working on images not sound!

12. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

13. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

For speakers like those, the audio out on the back should be exactly the same. You shouldn't need a special cable, but I don't know if they make stereo minijack to RCA cables at that length. A splitter is not worth bothering with, in my opinion - just switch your audio output to line out instead of digital out, unless you need the Z-5500s playing too for some reason.

14. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Yeah, I'm going to be playing both together.

Thanks you the help so far.

15. FSBW21086 macrumors member

I think z5500s should be plenty loud for a party!

If not hook two of them up together via airport express. I did this once for a party and had z5500 upstairs and down! was boooming

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

You won't find one 20m. 35ft is the longest I know of (here). TOSLINK is also limited to 10m, so that's not going to go that long either.

17. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I have a 50 foot (15m) TOSLINK cable going to my stereo in the other room. It's worked great for 2 years.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

You've been lucky, as the max length spec for TOSLINK is only 10m.

BTW, where'd you find it?

19. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

http://www.pchcables.com/50fotodiopca.html

It's gotten a few bucks cheaper too.

These guys are legit, and this cable does work--or at least it has for me.

20. justit macrumors 6502a

+1

I had my MP upstairs, airport down stairs with the option of either optical or RCA. If you're throwing a party, using iPod Touch/iPhone as a remote control to handle iTunes is another huge plus.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool:

I think it's more to do with the transmitter and/or reciever you're using it with than the cable, though it does have it's influence (material and grade used).

22. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Consider the AV40 instead the AV30. Not much of a price difference.

$128 plus tax at macmall.

23. cutlassvillager macrumors member

I bought the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers and I have been pretty impressed. If you're looking mainly for loudness I would consider these. Here is a quote straight from CNet's full review "At their maximum level, the ProMedia 2.1 speakers also suffered from slight distortion issues, but this is somewhat irrelevant, as no sane human will choose to listen to these speakers at their maximum volume (106dB, or 14dB shy of the threshold of pain) for more than a few seconds." I bought these because I was looking for something very loud to attach to my Airport Express in my basement. That's the only reason why I chose them over the M-Audio's. I also love the combination of the iPod touch remote and Airport Express. I would really recommend the Airport Express over a long cable.

24. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

I have the Logitech-Z-2300s. Freaking loud. Price is good for what you get. I also had them since March 2006. Quality build. Quality sound. Probably not audiophile sound, but not really something I lose too much sleep over.