please recs for blu ray creating software

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I'm trying to figure out how to burn the 4K video I take on my Iphone 7 plus to a blu ray disc. I want to keep the original quality. When I try using Roxio Toast 16, it makes my original file much smaller in size even though I keep the video quality setting at best!

Can anyone please help? What software would be the best blu ray creator/burner?

I have a mid 2014 rMBP with 2.8 GHz intel core i7 proccesser. It has 16 RAM and 500 GB hard drive. The blu-ray burner is an external one.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Unfortunately all developers seem to want us to al upload to youtube and stream our content. I'm surprised myself that even now there isn't much in the way of 4k Bluray s/w available. It seems FCP X doesn't support it, nor does Adobe Media Encoder 2018 that just came out will specifically write AVCHD for BluRay.

It seems the only way to play back unmodified 4k AVCHD is to use a steaming box connected to a hard drive and play it back that way. (Thats what I'm doing at the moment because I still don't have much of an alternative).

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you for replying!

I have a question.. I have tried burning to blu-ray with roxio toast titanium (with the blu-ray plugin)... my file was compressed a lot. Do you think maybe roxio toast pro won't compress the file AS MUCH as toast titanium?

Do you have any other suggestion? Any other software that won't compress the file too much?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately all developers seem to want us to al upload to youtube and stream our content. I'm surprised myself that even now there isn't much in the way of 4k Bluray s/w available. It seems FCP X doesn't support it, nor does Adobe Media Encoder 2018 that just came out will specifically write AVCHD for BluRay.

It seems the only way to play back unmodified 4k AVCHD is to use a steaming box connected to a hard drive and play it back that way. (Thats what I'm doing at the moment because I still don't have much of an alternative).

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I think the only options with Toast is Good/Better/Best, you dont have any options for tweaking. Best bet is to use a compressor like Adobe Media Encoder if you want to customise the encode and drop the resulting audio and video files into Toast. That way, you've done the encode and bypassed Toast's very basic encode.

As for 4k Blyray, at the moment I think we're out of luck. Maybe theres a PC option but I need to research it.