Please Remove This - I Forgot to Add a Poll To the Thread.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Jun 24, 2012.

1. macNewbie02, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

macNewbie02 macrumors regular

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Yup. I'd also say that the review verified what I liked about the system. I also already knew of the drawbacks.

3. mattkidd, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

The Retina MacBook Pro is definitely in a class of it's own, with the outstanding retina display, it really is crisp and clear. I have been using mine for around 3 days now. I have to say the design is a great improvement over the previous design and has to be the best feature as of yet. The Speed of Boot-up and general CPU operation is fantastic also, but you would expect this from Ivy Bridge and SSD.

I am however not satisfied with the following, which are significantly letting it down:

- GUI Performance Issues (Hopefully will be improved)
    - Battery (Really 7 Hours? :confused:)
    - Retina Apps (Although Apple has updated many apps, cant help but feel some things still haven't been done iWorks etc)

The graphics chip in this machine is excellent I can easily achieve good fps in the games I have tested it with. My concern again lies down to the drivers being able to cope which such resolutions and bandwidth effectively. I also seem to have problems with the graphics switching.

A small rattle, creaking noise is also apparent sounds as though something is loose or not firmly in place. Hopefully Apple will resolve this for me with a replacement.

Otherwise it's a good machine, Apple have done well with the design and the quality of the display, just a shame about the teething issues ;)

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

YES!!!

As someone who only upgrade from an early 2011 13" MBP, i feel like this notebook is 2 years ahead of its time. Incredibly fast, amazing display and the most portable 15" laptop you'll find on the market.

5. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Best computer I've ever owned, not because it is the latest, but in terms of overall quality and my experience using it.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Not sure why people are dissatisfied with a 7-hour battery?!?! I have never gotten 7-hrs on any other notebook brand. If anything, i give credit to Apple for keeping the same battery life with a notebook that clearly uses more power because of the display.

Retina apps will be updated...just give it time.

7. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Sorry didn't go into as much detail, 7 hours is great but I'm certainly not achieving it. :(

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Absolutely thrilled with mine. Love at first sight. Ha! I think the Anandtech review is spot on if you want an honest opinion of what to expect. Pay attention to the downsides, and if you have a small margin for imperfection in your workflow, then the gorgeous screen more than compensates. Count me as one who now has a hard time looking at my 13" MBP. I can't wait until that size ships Retina. But the RMBP is clearly not for everyone, and many major apps need to be updates, which is why the MBP was not EOLed.

If you live near an Apple store I would 100% advise you go there and play with one for awhile so you can know what to expect.

9. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey there,

Great reply - Could you please copy-paste it to the new thread I opened which includes a poll:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1393167

And of course, to all the other folks who have already replied here: please add your comments to the other thread, as I forgotten to add the polll.

thanks! :)

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I tested my battery the first day, I got close to 8 hours. Reviews by Engadget and other tech blogs have done tests as well, with most right in between 6.5-8 hours.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Just ask a mod to merge the threads by reporting your own post.

Cheers,

12. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Hmmm maybe I have a defect then at best I would say I'm achieving around 4 hours of battery. I found if using the Nvidia Graphics whilst playing not really a demanding game in OSX the battery would actually not charge at all and all energy would be used in powering the machine.

13. Jamboree macrumors newbie

Having upgraded from a 2006 mbp the difference is incredible.

From the time it takes to start-up, the screen, how quiet it is, speed of everything. It is just brilliant.

Not picked up my iPad 3 since it arrived on Thursday.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well, 7-hours is the life for basic browsing. The notebook does use up considerable power when playing games. I was playing batman arkham asylum and fans were at full speed, bottom got quite hot and battery stayed at the same percentage while plugged in. There's no doubt the retina display uses considerable power. But, I won't be playing games much, mainly purchased it to have a good laptop for med school for the next 4-years.

15. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

understandably, such hours were during normal usage when the CPU and GPU should be idle, but then I have noticed the graphics switching to the Nvida at times it probably shouldn't need too which I hear is possibly a bug in regards to the GUI. I will report this once I deal with exchanging the issues relating to the rattle. I would say at most playing a game I would get less than a single hours usage.