Please remove votes

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Why??????, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why?????? macrumors member

I know that when down votes were removed, the admins didn't act to the complaints, which shows that they are unwilling to bring them back.

I have a proposal: please remove voting altogether from forums. I'm saying this because with the absence of downvotes, it's very possible (and it happens) that misinformed comments get upvoted and they become relevant.

Votes on comments cast a very strong initial impression on each comment, so if a comment that is incorrect or doesn't contribute to the discussion gets upvoted, there is just a greater sense of disorder. Since the admins don't want to add downvotes to balance them, please remove votes altogether because upvotes will just become redundant.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Although your request to eliminate all voting is not unreasonable, I would suggest that you might be attributing too much influence to any posts vote count. Up voting an "incorrect" (I'm not exactly sure what that means) post does not give it credence, just indicates that some member liked the content of the post...which doesn't make it "correct, just congruent with the voter's ideas or positions. Many posts may be "misinformed", and up voting them doesn't change that.

Many of us don't pay much attention to the voting, and fully understand that it doesn't make the post right or wrong, informed or uninformed...it just means somebody liked it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.