"Please restart your computer" Happening For No Reason

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SilentLoner, Dec 31, 2007.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I am using a macbook 2.2ghz and I am using Leopard and I am finding that I keep getting a powerbutton image coming up with Please restart your computer by holding the power button down. This never used to come up with my Imac running Tiger. I am wondering if its my macbook playing up or is it just bugs in leopard causing this?

2. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

This shouldn't happen unless there's an incompatible 'haxie' or some dodgy hardware.

If you have any extra RAM try taking this out, that's a common culprit and caused my PowerBook to suffer that problem back in the day (got the RAM replaced and all was well)

If it looks like software, I recommend an "Archive and Install" or even better, back up the important stuff and do a "Clean Install" (the former should be enough though)

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Could be either, it's probably a Leopard glitch though. These things are referred to as 'kernel panics'.

Try re-installing Leopard with the disks that came with your MacBook Pro, and if that doesn't work, then it's a hardware issue which you should take up with Apple...

4. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I am using Azureus and Have my girlfriends New IPod Nano connected to it. All the hardware is factory built as I found it. I got it from John Lewis. Its happened about 2 to 3 times since christmas day. Although I have been totally spanking it as I love it! I am gonna sell my imac and update that next so I hope its not a leopard software as the stacks are really cool.

I repaired permissions It could be the torrents I am downloading it only seems to be when i am using that. I think its a leopard thing as it seems to alot less reliable than tiger.

Oh I have to say that the last one happened when I was using azureus and i restarted my router and cable modem, could this have something to do with it?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's a very likely culprit.

I've had a handful of kernel panics over the years, and all of them while running a torrent program of sorts...

If it's not hardware related it's always torrent related, in my experience.

6. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

I'm running Leopard with no problems on a Powerbook and an iMac since the day it was released... I think this applies to pretty much everyone except those who've done an upgrade installation from Tiger and had some incompatible haxie installed.

OS X is a very solid OS built on top of a UNIX platform; if you're getting kernel panics that generally points to a hardware problem. Annoying I know, but it's best to get Apple to look into it if that's the case. Try running the diagnostic DVD?

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

logic

Let's see. You have a stock Leopard install on a stock MacBook, and it generally runs just fine.

It only screws up when you have a third-party, designed for Microsoft Windows and poorly ported to OS-X bit-torrent client running...

... I wonder what the problem might be. :rolleyes: :)

I would guess that this POS Windows software is causing the computer to re-boot by overwriting areas of the HD that it shouldn't because it's designers don't know sh*t about OS-X or how to poll the system for resource information.

8. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Thought so. I will keep you all updated. On a separate note what is a good torrent for OS X? I love OS X, I can't be bothered installing windows on my macbook lol

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

Please have your ports forwarded properly...

10. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I have no money to pay for that software. I do use acquisition though which is awesome.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

please note, from the website:

:rolleyes:

12. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not touching that subject.

14. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I was just using transmission and it did it again, the black please restart your computer please hold the the power button or press the reset button. This never happened in the two years I had my last one. I have installed Leopard on this intel macbook and it has happened more than 3 times in just over a week!

Any idea's I reinstalled Leopard several times due to various reasons. It must be noted that I had Tiger when I first got the system (it was the first batch with the leopard disk in the pack) and on my re-installs I just installed leopard and added the i life 08 stuff from the leopard disk. Should of I just installed tiger and upgrade?

I am confused and upset. It must be the torrents causing the problems. its weird.

15. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

If you're that convinced it's Leopard, wipe it and put Tiger on and see what happens.

I'm 99% sure it's hardware related though. Whether it's bad drivers for something that's plugged in (is it a USB modem?) or a bad Apple, which happens sometimes.

16. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

What could be causing if its hardware and I got it from John Lewis would it be ok to get it repaired or direct swap from Apple Retail?

If I can go to the Apple store in the Trafford Centre I would and get a new macbook.

are kernel panics linked to airport problems?

Just checked and it seems to an airport problem with leopard.

17. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

On another note ...

Cyberduck has a cute yellow rubber duckie for an icon, and I think it's free.

It doesn't work the best, but the cuteness is a bonus. ;)

18. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Yeah I guess an Airport problem with Leopard is feasible enough.

If it *is* a hardware thing (dodgy internal memory perhaps) you can phone Applecare and they will sort it out, no worries there.

19. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Will they be able to tell for certain if it is a hardware problem?

20. Blogger macrumors 6502

Azureus is known to cause this. It's the most likely candidate.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes if the problem can be reproduced using stock apps, not running third party apps.