"Please restart your computer. We are hanging here"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poyzindrink, Sep 10, 2009.

1. poyzindrink macrumors newbie

poyzindrink

Hi everyone,
    I have a G4 Power Mac that has the message "Please restart your computer, we are hanging here" and I have tried resetting PRAM, PRVAM, I hooked it up in Target Disk Mode to the G4 Powerbook I'm on now, the hard drive was on the desktop, I ran disk utility and it said "No repairs necessary". What else can I do in TDM? I can't boot the PPC into safe or single user or verbose mode, so I can't do fsck -y either. Or can I do that in OF? I have applejack on the G4 that won't boot. I can only boot into Open Firmware or TDM. Once I'm there, and disk utility verifies and repairs permissions and says no repairs necessary, what else can I do?

Both Macs are from Craiglist, I want to buy Tiger for the G4 but even the gray discs Apple sent me wouldn't boot the old G4, the G4 restore discs I bought off Ebay didn't work either. So if I buy Tiger retail, what if it doesn't work? I don't have confidence in the discs because my new Leopard disks that came with my Mac Mini didn't work either! The geniuses couldn't get them to work and ordered me 2 new sets. Anyway, rambling, but I have no disks.

Now for the good part: I think I might have deleted a Library start up folder and thats why it won't boot. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for not attacking me.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yeah..../Library is kinda a big deal. Deleting it is......bad. The grey discs are specific to a particular model of Mac. Tiger retail should be able to boot it. Once you're in the installer, do an Archive and Install. If that missing folder is all that's wrong, you should be back up and running at that point.