Please review my first two sites.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mileslong, Jul 27, 2009.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

These are the first two sites I have ever built, one is for my own company and the other is for my girlfriends side business. They are each about 90% done. These were built with Rapidweaver.

I appreciate any and all feedback, thanks!

1) http://outletpurse.com/

2) http://fhaloanlender.net/

2. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Wow! They are both great for your first websites. I have never used Rapidweaver so I don't know if it would be easier with that, but they do look great. They look like professional sites.

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thank you very much for that, gives me confidence. rapidweaver i think is the perfect mix between iweb and dreamweaver. i have played around with both and found that rapidweaver suites my needs perfectly. i have also used freeway and sandvox and while nice programs, i think rapidweaver is the better of these.

I need to refine the logo on our banking site and add some verbiage to the header still. On the outlet purse site I still need to refine some graphics but it has been a big hit so far with her clients. It has been fun since I have no restrictions with that one.

4. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Nice Sites.

Well done, I hope my first site turns out that good.

One tiny, tiny cirticism is the horizontal scrollbar, I would prefer no horizontal scrollbar. It's not too important though as you do not need to use the horizontal scroll to read the page.
    Well done though, you must be well chuffed with yourself.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Outlet-Purse.com - huge, empty header wastes space and pushes the actual content and navigation below the fold. And what does the lady have to do with anything?

6. eleven2brett macrumors regular

This was the first thing that struck me too.
    Also, the more info buttons having a grayed out look makes me feel like I can't click on them, thats probably just me though.

7. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks for the feedback guys, i will try and answer below:

1) the scrollbar - are you referring to the slider? i used that so that i could keep the page short rather than having to scroll down a lot to see all the content of each designer etc. i can see your point however, i just like sliders :)

2) the header is rather large, this site will have no SEO modifications so content is only going to the the actual product. Organic search results aren't important on this site since its all word of mouth. normally i would put much more content in the header area. It is a bit large however and I might have to revisit that.

The lady in the photo is Madonna who is modeling the latest Louis Vuitton bag.

3) Please see answer above regarding model image. The more info buttons were custom and i have been thinking about refining them. I was thinking about maybe some sort of scroll over feature If I can figure out how, or at the very least darkening the verbiage to give them some depth.

thank you all for your feedback!

8. Denny Deals! macrumors newbie

Site review

Hi there,

On the FHA Loan Lender site, it's looking REALLY GREAT! I'm really impressed how well you have filled the page with all the different items - well done! I would suggest the logo in the top left be sharpened up to look much crisper. The soft logo is suggesting something which is not so solid for the brand. Also any soft photos should be sharpened up, or replaced if necessary. The drop down menus seem to all work very nicely!

The Prada page is looking very stylish. I must admit, my eyes are having trouble knowing where to go regarding interface. Perhaps contrast between what is most important and what is least important will help. Contrast can be achieved through size, boldness, and color of text/items.

I hope this helps!

~ Denny doublePLUS

9. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

Thanks for the feedback Danny. The logo on the Platinum/FHA site definately needs to be reworked. It's a 10 year old logo that my partner doesn't want to lose because of brand familiarity but I am going to have it reworked to at least a modern version. I don' like it but some form of it has to stay. The qualiity needs to be upgraded at the very least.

I will look at the outlet purse site again as well. That site is unique in that that almost all of the customers will be word of mouth so I used minimal marketing techniques since they all know why they are there and will go directly to the product pages and not even read any of the other verbiage. However, good site marketing techniques should be used anyway just for practice if nothing else. Good observations and I appreciate it. Thanks!