Hello, can you please review my webiste, http://www.numeroten.com I just transferred from Rapidweaver to Wordpress, and would like to get some feedback on it. Thanks so much, I use a Macbook Pro 17 inch retina, for my work to.
loaded fine on chrome on macbook pro and the only thing i would change is the color of the dropdown menus. change it all to one color. maybe the same shade of orange or the green. the blue is too strong on the eyes.
I see nothing wrong with using multi-colored drop down menus, the site is hip and I see no need to "conform" to boring best practices in that sense. But the green has to be changed because of contrast issues, i.e. make sure the text on the menu is easily readable.
The layout is nice for a site that has all kinds of content aggregated from various sources, so good use of space above the footer, but the footer looks mis-aligned and needs some attention. Try to make the footer content look less like you stood back and tossed each element and it stuck wherever it landed.
Warning! This review is from a normal internet surfer. Not a web designer by any stretch of the word.
It took quite a while to load all the content in Safari (of course I'm also currently downloading a torrent so that could be the culprit). But oddly it was the text that showed up last. I don't mind the multi-colored menu's, but I'm also not that big of a fan either. Perhaps make them somewhat transparent?
I think the content is laid out nicely and easy to follow. Things I like about the main featured area: 1)left/right arrows only appear when you hover over the image. 2) The tabs stacked up on the left instead of the typical horizontal row you see everywhere.
Other likes: 1) The search bar at the top that expands as you hover over it. 2) Headers gradually changing color when you hover over (but be consistent, the "subscribe to blog" header does not do this even though it is a clickable option). 3) Your logo. Even though I have no idea how you came up with it or why there is a face within the musical note of "m". I like it. It's friendly and inviting and shows style/creativity.
Dislikes: Really all I can come up is the background image. Is it needed? It's almost like a distraction. You can hardly see what city it actually is. I would think it would be best to have a solid color/gradient sort of look in the background.
That's about the best feedback I can give. It's 1,000x better than anything I could create, so Kudo's to you. Good luck!
When I noted, " Try to make the footer content look less like you stood back and tossed each element and it stuck wherever it landed." that means align the elements better so as to be less disjointed. This could be accomplished by vertical alignment of each footer item and an elegant/thin vertical rule of some kind separating them to establish columns, and use the entire footer width as you did with the header to provide balance.
Again, I'm not a designer so I don't know what is more pleasing to the eye of "consumers". But if it was me I personally like something along the lines of the stock picture in iOS devices of those dark grey rock faces. It's almost a solid color with enough detail to not look to plain and it would set it apart from the main white content of the page. That's just what I would do since I've used those background on my iPhone and iPad and it really makes my icons/folders pop out against it.
Please don't take my suggestions too seriously or on a professional level. It's your site. Do what you want and what you think works best. I could be completely off base with this.
- I don't mind the background image. It is not distracting me from the content, but it doesn't add anything either. Although I think that a solid color background would be a little boring and you would loose the depth the image creates. Maybe the pattern that is over the image at the moment in combination with a grey gradient would be good.
- I see the point of the different colours for the menu as they are incorporated throughout the categories. However, the green and blue are far too bright. I would tone those colours down. I would also change the colour scheme of the drop-downs. It may be better looking to make the drop-down items white and only colour them on hover. That would make it a bit calmer and more in line with the rest of the site.
- Sport & Technology and Music & Other have the same colour. I would give them individual colours.
- Get rid of the search box in the menu. There are two others already and the way it expands on hover looks odd.
- I would set the transitions on all the stuff you have below the menu (like the search field, the category tags on the news items) a bit faster. Now it just takes too long for my liking.
- The footer items are not properly lined up. First of all, you have an empty img-tag. Second, the calendar doesn't make much sense. If you want a calendar to navigate to historic items it would be better to put it somewhere in the right column. Probably between New/Popular and Facebook.
Then you can make the footer much smaller. Put the Social Media buttons to the left and the search box all the way to the right and your done.
- You can also consider getting rid of all the search boxes and just put one in the empty space next to the logo.
I think under lets say Football, you have Football, then underneath Football then headline of story. The second label of football is not needed and creates to much repetition, also I know the story is about football due to the fact it is directly under said label. Removing the second Football label would also get rid of the overuse of the yellow...hope that makes sense?