Please review this design

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacFanUK, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Please review this design as honestly as you can. I haven't designed a website from scratch for quite some time so would love any feedback any of you guys/gals can give.

[​IMG]

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Other than the font being really thin, I like it.

Though, the subject matter...is there seriously a market for doing that!?

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks, how thick do you think I should go with the font?

There must be I guess. I'm just paid to do their web development lol :)

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Just pick something like Arial or geneva with a bit more pixels width for thin letters like i's and t's

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks, I've updated the original image using Arial.

If anyone has any other comments I'd really appreciate it as this is the early stage of the design so any improvements can be made easily.

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

A couple of suggestions. You may want to think about making the gray a little darker, it's hard to see the type. Also, I'm not sure I'm diggin the lines through your mast head. Seems to be a focal point and you may not want to put lines through it. It kind of throws me off.

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be obvious, but check your spelling and grammar throughout the site. I've just picked up "...it's exceptional resistance..." :)

8. SChaput macrumors regular

Personally, I like the lines through the header. It makes me think of bathroom tile and think it adds a nice touch.

But i also agree about making the grey text a little darker to make it stand out more.

9. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks for the comments. I can understand why some may not like the tile effect but it will be a jquery slideshow and I think it will look good in the finished design.

As for the spelling, it will be checked when the website's built but thanks for the heads up :)

10. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks for all the comments so far. Here is a slightly updated version but I'm not happy with the navigation menu. Can anyone recommend a suitable menu (colours, style, etc) that I could use?

Cheers

[​IMG]

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I think you nailed the design to the image that sector needed. GJ. Yeah you can work on the wording etc, though I'd imagine the CM admin will be tweaking all that stuff as they progress.

Only thing is that I think the original 4 part logo was far better and more professional than the rather toyish and primary school looking updated version.

12. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I love the main image, it really works with the rest of the page. It also makes what would otherwise be a rather obvious image to expect on the site, that little bit more interesting.

I'm not keen on the second logo though. The wording against is better, as it looks very pixelated in the first. I'd try for a in between. Keep the original blue doors, but blend this with the improved typeface. Also, is the .co.uk after the name really essential?

13. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks again for the comments. I sent the design to the company and the only comment they've really made is they'd rather have a few smaller images rather than one large tiled image. What do you guys think it'd look like if I turned the tiled image into a kind of gallery where when you hover over a square, a larger image appears or do you think I should argue a case for the large image?

14. Nsutton macrumors member

Nsutton

But really how many pictures of toilets can you have before it get to be all the same? I really like the big titled image but hey if the client doesn't like it what choice do you really get.

15. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

While I had some spare time today I had a go at another design. Let me know what you guys think. Which (out of all 3) do you think is better?

Attached Files:

16. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Prefer the original. But it depends on your style.

17. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

The original is much better especially in legibility of the text.

18. MOD YOU UPP macrumors newbie