Please save my 2010 mbp until june

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craigyy, Apr 3, 2016.

1. craigyy macrumors member

Hi there, so just my luck my macbook pro failed to boot up today. I then tried to boot into safe mode which only gets halfway and then restarts. When I boot into recovery mode and go into disk utility the macintoah hd is greyed it and when I click repair disk it gets says disk utility cannot repair disk. Now I can get into my bootcamp partition so is there a way I can possibly fix it from here?!

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

It sounds like the HD may be toast. Hopefully you did a recent backup. First I'd recommend running the diagnostics program that's on the Applications DVD that came with your MBP. That'll give you a better idea of what's wrong.

If the HD is toast, you'll need to replace the HD and reinstall everything. If you El Capitan installed, you can download it from someone else's Mac and create a USB install drive. You can get a new HD and the tools to remove/replace the HD from Other World Computing or elsewhere. Replacing the HD is actually easy and will take 5-10 minutes.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

It seems to me that if you -can- get running from your BootCamp partition, that the drive itself is physically ok -- no hardware problems. If the drive had hardware failure, you wouldn't be able to boot from ANY partition (Mac OS, BootCamp, or recovery partition).

I will guess that your real problem is an "OS problem" on "the Mac side" that keeps it from booting.

Just because you can't boot from a drive, doesn't mean the drive "is bad". What it really means (until you KNOW the drive is bad) is that you have a drive that you can't boot from (well, hey...!). If you can boot from another source, you may still be able to access your files on it.

A situation like yours is why I -ALWAYS- advise here that one should keep a fully-bootable external drive "within arm's reach", for moments just like this.

Do you have an external hard drive that you can use, or a USB flashdrive?
    You should see about putting a fresh copy of the OS onto an external source, and then see if you can get started up that way.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

5. craigyy thread starter macrumors member

I can get into bootcamp fine still. So if it is just the mac partition is there a way to do a install of osx from bootcamp? I have managed to back up all my important files just by accessing them from the bootcamp partition.
    Thanks for the help so far everyone :)
    I guess if I can't get the mac partition working I can try and live off using bootcamp until the new mbp is announced by that is less than ideal :/

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "So if it is just the mac partition is there a way to do a install of osx from bootcamp?"

I don't think so.

What you need to do is try internet recovery IF your MacBook supports it.

Then re-initialize the Mac partition and re-install the OS.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a MacBook with ONLY BootCamp...

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Do internet recovery, recover from time machine, or find the original Snow Leopard DVD that came with it and install that - then install 10.11 over it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe 2010 models can do an internet recovery.

From the sounds of it, I think the drive is toast, and the OP may be better off getting an inexpensive drive.

9. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Same thing happened with mine, it was the hard drive. Got a new HD put in and runs good as new.