Please school me on BT

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ccf, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ccf macrumors regular

What exactly does bluetooth do? I'm trying to understand the benefits of keeping it turned on for my iPhone & iPad.

I tried pairing my iMac/iPhone, but it didn't work. What would I gain by doing so (or pairing my iMac/iPad)? Does it help with syncing or anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

bluetooth is pretty much the same technology as wifi. However, with a mac and ipad connected it won't work correctly. The bad thing is Apple has restricted to send musics, files, videos ect...... With an open source device u can send anything via bluetooth such as with my Android phone I send APK, musics or watever I want into my Android phone.

3. in one ear macrumors member

in one ear

just another means of transferring information between your devices with other devices. Main uses for iphone and ipad include separate wireless keyboard, handsfree headset, handsfree headphones, stuff like that.

Unless you have something that needs to be connected like the examples above I would turn it off because it wastes battery.

you will probably find that the licensing agreements apple have signed will not allow the transfer of music and video.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Bluetooth is a wireless protocol. Sort of like wifi but has a shorter range, and doesn't need you to create a network, the way wifi does. With the IPhone and iPad, bluetooth is mostly used to connect to a bluetooth keyboard, speaker or headphone. If you don't have any such device, then I believe you should keep the bluetooth turned off for improved battery life. As for pairing iPad / iPhone with a Mac, I think that could be used to send audio from the iDevice to the Mac, but I'm not sure. I don't think the Mac will pair to an iDevice, but you might be able to pair to a Mac from an iDevice -- and now I'm confusing myself, lol. Anyway, I've got a very nice set of Bluetooth speakers, so I've never felt the need for sending my iDevice's audio to the Mac speakers, so I've never tried to figure this out. Maybe somebody else will help you out.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea I know that sucks tho. Even my 10 years old Nokia can send pictures, musics over bluetooth. Oh well Bluetooth restriction doesn't stop me buying an iPhone and iPad tho :D

6. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

thanx, guys...1 more question...just got the wife an iPad & trying to set it up just for her...is there a way to keep from syncing my Notes to her iPad?...it says it does it over the air, but not sure how it's doing it because i don't have BT paired...i guess it's something else i don't understand, LOL

anyway, is there a setting that will keep from syncing notes to her iPad, but keep doing it to my stuff?

----------

i guess i should add she doesn't have an iTunes account if that makes a difference...she's lost as far as that stuff is concerned (more than me) & wants me to keep her stuff on my account

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Notes sync over wifi, or over 3G if you have a 3G iPad.

And they sync to your email account. You can either delete your email account from your wife's iPad, or set it to not sync notes. You do this by going into the Settings app, then tap Mal, Contacts and Calendar, then tap each email account you have set up. If you set up your wife's iPad with her email account, she can sync her notes there.

8. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

much appreciated...i understand it now

thanx, again