Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYRob94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Long Island
I was hoping you could settle a debate I'm having with one of my fellow coworkers. He says that Nintendo is the #1 portable gaming consul out there. I told him it was apples iPod touch and I remember reading it in an article but I can't seem to remember where it was. So is he right or am I right? If you can please send a link to a website or something that will confirm the answer.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
You could argue indefinitely about wether the iPod Touch is a games console at all.

Anyway, the wikipedia articles state 60 million touches sold and 150 million Nintendo DS sold.

mrpuffalos

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
iPod touch's are not gaming devices. And that determines who wins: Nintendo. I have fun with my iPod touch, but Mario vs. Angry Birds and Metroid vs. Doodle Jump? It's clear that the 3DS/DS is better than the iPod touch. I'm not a fanboy (I'm typing this with my iPad), it's just that I think Nintendo is better at making portable gaming devices.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In what context is the debate about? Sales, popularity, market share etc...?

Regardless between the two of you, it will be more about personal preference as to which is better [for you].

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
#1 in terms of cheap titles?
#1 in terms of battery life?
#1 in terms of fast loading games?
#1 in terms of multi-touch games?

It depends on what each of you mean by "portable gaming console," and what each of you mean by #1.

Exactly

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
The iPod touch is still more of a multimedia player than a portable gaming console.

The DS, DS lite, DSi, DSiXL and 3DS together have sold more copies than ipod touch not to mention that the games like super mario and pokemon are designed by game professionals rather than independent developers making iOS app store games.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I would agree with your coworker. The iPod touch is a device that can play games and do other tasks while the Nintendo is meant as a portable gaming console.

flanamac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2009
To win a debate, you have to agree on the conditions which define winning.

I was hoping you could settle a debate I'm having with one of my fellow coworkers. He says that Nintendo is the #1 portable gaming consul out there. I told him it was apples iPod touch and I remember reading it in an article but I can't seem to remember where it was. So is he right or am I right? If you can please send a link to a website or something that will confirm the answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.