Please someone explain (240fps slow mo question)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Sep 29, 2014.

1. wongster41 macrumors regular

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

They probably used a video editor of some kind. Maybe even iOS iMovie.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

He imported the footage into video editing software and keyframed the slow motion in and out throughout one clip.

4. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know which video editing software that would allow you to keyframe slow motion from two different spots in one video for the iPhone 6?

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Lots of editors can do it. Apple's Final Cut Pro X has a special retiming window to keyframe speed changes. It will even blend/interpolate frames if you want to go even slower.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Probably any of them. I use Adobe Premiere in my line of work, but FCPX would work, also probably iMovie. Maybe even iMovie on the iPhone.

7. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You could try iMovie for iPhone since it's free. It could be able to do just that.

8. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Key framed?

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's when you assign certain frame points as transition points. Frame 1 to frame 67, regular speed. If frame 83 is the super slow part, then frames 67-83 are transitional. Let that play until you want to ramp the speed back up, and then keyframe that moment until where the action is back to normal speed. Insert keyframe there. Etc.

10. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Oh so just like on the iPhone itself. I've heard of keyframes as a way to transition like interpolate things.. does the iPhone do that or does it go straight from regular speed to slow speed?

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's not creating new pixels, if that's what you're asking. The video is 240 fps. So when you see it, it's either playing back at that framerate, or the framerate is slowed down to 24 or 30 frames per second, giving it the slow motion (or you're seeing a transitional frames per second speed as it goes from fast to slow, or slow to fast). Everything you're seeing is an actual recorded frame.

12. Razeus macrumors 603

I was wondering this same damn thing. Thanks. I thought you could somehow go regular, then slow mo, then regular, all day long but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. :eek: I guess I need to make use of iMovie.

13. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I mean is there any transition period where it goes normal - slightly slow - medium Slow - really slow

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

That's what keyframing does

15. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

So that's what's happening in the iPhone?

If I do it in Premiere or iMovie and just go from normal to super slomo, am I doing it wrong (as in untrue to the original iphone style?)

16. abishagenaden macrumors member

Was about to post a new topic when I ran a search and saw that the OP had a similar question.

Now that we're another couple of months in, does anyone know if there are any free apps that allow for assigning multiple segments of slow-mo vs. normal speed in a video (as opposed to iMac/Macbook/PC video editing software)?

17. HolyGrail, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

An easy way he might have done it, was to put the slow mo where he wanted it, send it through ICloud photo sharing to you're computer, copy it out of the ICloudPhotos sharing folder (Pictures\iCloud Photos\Shared\Family). Then go back to you're iphone 6, put the slow mo at a different spot, and then again send it through ICloud photo sharing to you're computer. Copy it out. Now you will 2 of the same videos, but with a slo mo at different times.

Use edit software to put them together at an intersecting point.

Here is one I did using my iphone 6, took me about 8 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djbr7qdT5fs&feature=youtu.be

18. abishagenaden macrumors member

But is there a nice little app that will let you do it all on your mobile device without having to transfer it to a desktop/mac?

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah you should be able to in iMovie. I know you can slow stuff down in it but I don't use it so I don't know about multiple spots. I would assume you can.

20. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but the iPhone app called "Slow Fast Slow" should allow you to edit a clip shot at 240 fps and adjust the speed with nodes so you could make a clip slow motion, speed up , and then slow motion again. I haven't tested it out myself but it's free in the App Store I believe.

21. abishagenaden macrumors member

Awesome thanks, downloading it now and I'll give it a spin.

22. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I actually don't believe you can. I remember trying to make an Instagram video with several different slow mo skateboard tricks on iOS iMovie and I couldn't figure out how to slow it down multiple times. Had to go to Final Cut Pro X and make quick work of it.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Its just easier to hop on my rMBP and open up FCP X to be honest....iMovie iOS is cool but its a pain...especially on a small screen.

24. abishagenaden macrumors member

Well color me impressed. I just played around with iMovie and while it wasn't very intuitive, you can assign different speeds to different portions of the clip. You just have to 'split' the desired section off first.

I hear ya, but I'm just a casual photo/video editor though, and since I often find myself out of the house sitting around somewhere waiting (don't ask), it's useful for me to be able to kill the time playing around with my phone. One of the reasons why I'm glad I got the 6+ over the 6, I guess. Though now I wish I had got the 64GB instead of the 16GB. After installing iMovie I only have 750MB left, and that's with very limited photos+videos on my phone at this time.