Please someone help me out MBP draining GB's !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by l7alzk, Dec 29, 2008.

1. l7alzk macrumors newbie

Well the time machine says "last Update Failed" , I was reading and I think it is because the external HD is not formatted to "extended journaled" so it is not using my external HD to store up the back up data on it, it is actually storing it on my internal HD.

The HD space goes does with every move, for example my HD had 70 gb's free from me erasing stuff and storing them on my 500GB external HD, and with every move I made, I sudenly activated spaces and it went down .30Mb, then I oppened Firefox and another .20MB goes down. I kept noticing it was going down so I started to try and figure out what was going on. All of a sudden from 70G that I had in like 20 mins I had 57GB left!! What the hell is that?! When I saw this I freaked out so disconnected my external HD and it stopped It wasnt draining my HD space....

The time machine says that it cannot use my external HD for storing back up because it is not formatted to do so and it just cant, so i just click ok, and w/e like i don't care if it doesnt.

I went to my Time machine preferences and it said "ON" on the slide thing and it had the "check" on the back up while battery on power. (Says this on the option botton in time machine preferences) Also there where that big blank part where you put the data you dont want time machine to store, says on bottom says "Total Included 91.1 GB" . I was thinking this was all the stored data from the back up... maybe its using my own HD to back up everything. (All this while the External HD is not conected)

What kind of stuff? Well Anime series I dlow, programs, .dmg files i store for whenever i neede, pics, and alot more stuff so i can keep my internal memory clean and ready to use (Which is one of the reasons why people buy external HD's)

Please Help me out I really must fix this because it is draining my space out everytime I connect my external HD... and I have almost 80gb's of data in my HD already so it would be hard to formatted now.... Unless it was totally and utterly necesary...

Thanks guys I really apreciate your help and sorry for not giving enough info in my initial post... hope this all works if need more i will reply as soon as posible!!!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Time Machine Preferences --> Click the Little Lock on the Bottom Left to Make Changes --> Slide Slider to OFF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. l7alzk thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that, but how can I regain my HD space back? all those missing GB's?

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Download a free little utility called "WhatSize". It shows where all your hard disk space is being used.

5. l7alzk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx alot man i found everything!!!! I am very apreciated :) :D:apple::apple:
    Case closed :cool: