Please suggest a KVM Switch for me

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DanielCoffey, Nov 22, 2014.

1. DanielCoffey, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I would like you to advise me on the choice of a KVM switch for the following application. It concerns connecting a PC and Mac Mini to a single 27" ACD but with a Wacom Graphics Tablet included.

I also have a NAS box which is running headless and would only connect it if I needed to perform BIOS updates so for now consider it as optional. If a 2-way switch is fit for purpose, fine. If a 4-way is not much more expensive, also fine.

Here is the hardware that would be used...

Monitor : Apple Cinema Display 27" 1440p (mDP)
    Keyboard : Wired USB
    Mouse : Wired USB
    Tablet : Wacom Intuos 4M wired USB

Computer 1 : Win 8.1 PC with HDMI, DP, DVI-I and DVI-D out

Computer 2 : Mac Mini 2014 with HDMI, TB out

Computer 3 : NAS box with DVI and HDMI out (OPTIONAL)

I am aware that the cheaper KVM switches may have issues with the Wacom tablet and I require one which is capable of handling this device. I understand that switches such as the ADDERView 4 Pro DP claim to support tablets. Since the monitor is mDP, I assume I am looking at a DisplayPort switch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I was wondering what adapters folks would use for HDMI to mDP?

Since three of the PCs have HDMI and only the monitor is mDP, do you think the cabling might be simpler if I went for an HDMI KVM?

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The only HDMI to mDP adapter that I have ever found is the Kanex thing and last time I checked it's was quite pricey (about 1.5 years ago)....

Here it is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanex-Displ...r=8-1&keywords=kanex+hdmi+to+mini+displayport

I see that's dropped from over £100 to £67

I can't help about KVMs but I do recall reading about people struggling with them. Apparently many are not very reliable.