Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I just bought my powerbook the other day and have had nothing but problems with Gmail and Apple mail. Now starting today I cant send mail. Im looking for a mac friendly (read: actually works flawlessly with mail) email service. It doesnt have to be free. Im considering yahoo for $20 a year or maybe runbox. anyone have any suggestions?

-Norm

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
It's probably not Gmail giving you problems, but rather Mail.app. Gmail is amazing. You won't find a better email service. Apple's new version of Mail hasn't been the greatest. It's been buggy and hasn't lived up to normal Apple standards. Having said that, I still seem to use it.

My suggestion: Double check that you configured everything properly.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I use Mail (2.0) and GMail's free POP3 access for my primary email, with no trouble whatsoever. I'm not sure why you're having trouble, but my experience has been that both Mail and GMail are excellent. If you don't like Mail, you might try Thunderbird, which you can download at http://www.mozilla.org. Microsoft sells Entourage (the Mac equivalent of Outlook) as part of Office for Mac. There are also several other email clients (Netscape, Mozilla Suite, Eudora, etc) available for Mac OS X that you might try.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
It sounds like a preference file thing.
Delete "com.apple.mail.plist" from the preferences folder in the Library folder in your home folder.

You will have to set up your g-mail again, but it might get it to work again.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
did you follow the step my step instructions that you can find on the gmail site? They tell you exactly how to set up your mail program to work with gmail. I haven't had a problem yet sending and receiving with it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I suggest you get a nice 250MB hosting package (which I happen to sell :eek:) with a domain such as yourcompany.com, coolword.com, yourname.com and have an e-mail address through that. Then, if you did get into web design (or already are), you can also have a website at thedomain.com.

I know that at least my server's mail is Mac friendly, and it also has webmail too! The pop and smtp servers are both mail.domain.com, which is really easy, and I'm sure most webhost's ms are like that!

Good luck!

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Beligerent said:
I just bought my powerbook the other day and have had nothing but problems with Gmail and Apple mail. Now starting today I cant send mail. Im looking for a mac friendly (read: actually works flawlessly with mail) email service. It doesnt have to be free. Im considering yahoo for $20 a year or maybe runbox. anyone have any suggestions?

-Norm

I thought i was having problems with Gmail, but then I read somewhere about changing the settings within Gmail, which I did and I have not had any problems with it whatsoever ever allowing other mail programs access Gmail. Check it maybe maybe that's your problem with Gmail.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
POP isn't a Mac standard. Any POP email provider should work fine. I use VONetworks.com for my web hosting and as part of the package I get unlimited POP mailboxes (limited only by how much disk space I am leasing under the plan I have (2GB)).

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I use Earthlink with Mail and it works without a hitch. Haven't had a probelm yet. However, like yourself I just switched a week ago. But, so far so good.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
Beligerent said:

-Norm

Make sure your SMTP settings for the Gmail account in Mail.app are:

Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
Server port: 587
Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): YES (checked)
Authentication: Password
User Name: youremail@gmail.com (you DO need to include @gmail.com)
Password: yourpassword

I've had similiar problems when I forgot to put @gmail.com in the user name field, or didn't set the port correctly.

I really like GMail, it works great in Mail.app and the web interface is great for when I'm away from my Mac (work).

EDIT:: Also, login to GMail's web interface and make sure POP is enabled in the settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.