Please suggest a mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by rndman, Dec 21, 2013.

1. rndman macrumors member

I currently have a 24-inch Mid 2007 iMac.
    Plan to replace it with a mini but not sure if I should go for the i5 or i7.
    My usage is very moderate (web browsing, a few office applications at times and regular photo editing using LR4/5 or Canon's DPP).
    So which mini is best suited? I believe i5 should do the job. But want to confirm from similar users..
    Appreciate your response.

Happy holidays to all...

2. mfram macrumors 65816

3. blanka macrumors 68000

Get the entry, but install an SSD into the empty slot yourself. Even a 50 bucks 60GB Kingston SSDNow is good. You can then either use the SSD for apps/system, or make a Fusion drive yourself with the normal HD. Otherwise the HD of the old iMac will feel more responsive than what you buy now.

4. rndman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you mfrma and blanka..

the SSD ideas sounds good too..

5. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I would get the the 2.3 i7 model for the quad-core processor myself just for better resale value.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

I got the i5 and that's what I recommend as the others who have chimed in. I plan to use my Mini for the web and for my iPad's.

7. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

if $200 is a challenge get the i5 if not the 2.3 i7 will be quite nice :D

8. rndman thread starter macrumors member

No. $200 is not a challenge. Just want to make sure it is not overkill..

----------

I hear you..

9. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

well, its a bit of overkill, but the i5 is the same i5 as in my MBP and i had that hooked up to the TV before i got the mini, and the mini now is a lot smoother, though that could be the more ram...

but i do think there will be a noticeable difference between the i5 and the i7 just in multi-tasking... so, i'd get that. :D

10. rndman thread starter macrumors member

You have point. May be it will not get used all the time but when it's needed those cores are available.. That may be good thing to consider...

11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Basic needs require only a basic computer. Mine sound similar to yours, and I guess many others. I got the base model Mini in early 2009, and have no regrets; anything more would have been overkill.

I added 4 GB of RAM just over a year ago, so it is still good for the latest OS X, and is still performing well

I don't know about others, but I buy based on my own needs, not what I reckon someone else might want in future.

That being said, I don't own a lot, but what I do own I tend to keep until it is either beyond its serviceable days or obsolete.

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

Will you even use those extra cores? I recently purchased the i5 Mini because my needs are simple. The mini will be used primarily for the internet, iTunes and to backup my iPad's. An i7 would have been a waste of money.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably see a product refresh before you use those extra cores.

----------

QFT ! :cool:

13. rndman thread starter macrumors member

True..

Same here. I am still using the 2007 iMac. (Replaced the stock HDD with SSD sometime last year)..
    But now there is a upgrade bug so hunting for mini.. :D

14. Micky Do, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I should have added, my 2009 Mini replaced my first computer, the base model of the original 2005 Mini. With the introduction of Intel chips late in 2005, it was on the way to being outdated. So too was the top model.

In the early days of computing higher specs would "future proof" a computer; not necessarily so in more recent times.

When the 2005 Mini's HDD and the power supply packed up in 2009, repairs would have set me back nearly half the cost of a new Mini. Even then it would have been obsolete, unable to run Snow Leopard. Replacing it was a no-brainer.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My suggestion is to get the 2.3ghz i7, even though it costs a little more.

The CPU is the only thing you can't change after the purchase.

More processing power will extend the useful life of the machine.

Add RAM if you need to (but try the 4gb out first, it may be fine for your needs).

Add an SSD when you can (if you don't want to open the case, an SSD will run just as well if you mount it in a USB3/SATA docking station).

16. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

How so?

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

Agreed, computers today are a different beast. Microsoft and Apple are going in the direction of making older computers run better with each OS release. I've been out of the Mac fold for awhile but that's changed with my Mini purchase.

I can easily run Windows 7 and Windows 8 (2007 laptops) on ancient dual core CPU's. It's another thing if the user requires power from CPU intensive tasks or programs or even games that require quad CPU's but most users tend to use their computers like they do their iPad's.

In those cases it's a waste of money going with a quad core CPU. You'll never take advantage of the extra power.

18. rndman thread starter macrumors member

I have replaced the HDD (after it died) with SSD in iMac.
    So opening the case is no issue here... ;)

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just wanted to add that I got my i5 Mini up and running and did a clean install of Mavericks. last night I just want to say for the basics the i5 is more than fast enough and I haven't upgraded the memory or dropped an SSD in the Mini. Everything is snappy both in ML and now Mavs but i'm sticking with Mavs, much prefer it over ML.