Please suggest a video editing app for my IMAC G5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Barrett63, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Barrett63 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a Sony HDR-HC5 Hi Def. video camera and now have a lot of content in need of editing. My machine currently is running iMovie '04 which doesn't support the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio my camera records in (everything gets squished). I recently learned the newer versions of iMovie (06 & 08) do support the widescreen format but, surprise surprise, I need a machine with a 1.9 GHz processor. Naturally mine has a 1.8Ghz processor. I would also need to upgrade to OSX 10.4 but that's a moot point due to my processor shortcomings.

Sooo... Is there an editing app out there that will support 16:9 and run on my machine with the current processor? Will Final Cut Express HD3.5 run on this machine? Is there another (cheaper) option I am missing?
    I just want to chop out boring bits of video, add some text and background music, and burn DVD's, nothing crazy.
    Thanks for any help folks.
    Best
    -B

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. Ghibli macrumors regular

iMovie 06 will work perfectly on you machine (iMovie 08 instead will NOT). I Would give iMovie 06 a try (download fron apple and give a search on the net if you do not have ilife 08...). Otherwise Avid Free (but I don't like it) of Final Cut Express (that will work on the iMac but is really a complex app to work with.

4. Barrett63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried Free Avid, now on to iMovie '06? Really?

Downloaded the Free Avid but unfortunately still have squeezed video. The help page says that only the 4:3 aspect ratio is supported. Argh. Back to square 1.

I was going to upgrade to iLife '06 but the system requirements on the Apple store site state that a 1.9Ghz or faster processor is required. Are you sure that iMovie '06 will work on my 1.8Ghz G5?
    Thanks for the help.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

ilife 06 will work fine for you - i was running 06 on a PM G5 1.8 long time ago

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I have a 1.8G G5 single CPU PowerMac.
    It runs iMovie 08 just fine. And all previous versions.
    I also have FCE and that works too.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Explanation

iLIfe '06 (and iMovie '06) works just fine on my 1.5ghz G4 12" laptop. Go get it.

8. Ghibli macrumors regular

iLife 06 works as a charm on my 1.6 GHz Powermac G5 (even better on my Macbook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo). I would use the download from apple as a test (download it and then do some googling....) If it works go find a copy and buy it (very good value for the money).

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

You're looking at the requirements for iLife '08, not '06.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

11. Barrett63 thread starter macrumors newbie