Please suggest a video editing app for my IMAC G5

Barrett63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I recently bought a Sony HDR-HC5 Hi Def. video camera and now have a lot of content in need of editing. My machine currently is running iMovie '04 which doesn't support the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio my camera records in (everything gets squished). I recently learned the newer versions of iMovie (06 & 08) do support the widescreen format but, surprise surprise, I need a machine with a 1.9 GHz processor. Naturally mine has a 1.8Ghz processor. I would also need to upgrade to OSX 10.4 but that's a moot point due to my processor shortcomings.

Sooo... Is there an editing app out there that will support 16:9 and run on my machine with the current processor? Will Final Cut Express HD3.5 run on this machine? Is there another (cheaper) option I am missing?
I just want to chop out boring bits of video, add some text and background music, and burn DVD's, nothing crazy.
Thanks for any help folks.
Best
-B

Ghibli

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Trieste - Italy
I recently bought a Sony HDR-HC5 Hi Def. video camera and now have a lot of content in need of editing. My machine currently is running iMovie '04 which doesn't support the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio my camera records in (everything gets squished). I recently learned the newer versions of iMovie (06 & 08) do support the widescreen format but, surprise surprise, I need a machine with a 1.9 GHz processor. Naturally mine has a 1.8Ghz processor. I would also need to upgrade to OSX 10.4 but that's a moot point due to my processor shortcomings.

-B
iMovie 06 will work perfectly on you machine (iMovie 08 instead will NOT). I Would give iMovie 06 a try (download fron apple and give a search on the net if you do not have ilife 08...). Otherwise Avid Free (but I don't like it) of Final Cut Express (that will work on the iMac but is really a complex app to work with.

Barrett63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Tried Free Avid, now on to iMovie '06? Really?

Downloaded the Free Avid but unfortunately still have squeezed video. The help page says that only the 4:3 aspect ratio is supported. Argh. Back to square 1.

I was going to upgrade to iLife '06 but the system requirements on the Apple store site state that a 1.9Ghz or faster processor is required. Are you sure that iMovie '06 will work on my 1.8Ghz G5?
Thanks for the help.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Downloaded the Free Avid but unfortunately still have squeezed video. The help page says that only the 4:3 aspect ratio is supported. Argh. Back to square 1.

I was going to upgrade to iLife '06 but the system requirements on the Apple store site state that a 1.9Ghz or faster processor is required. Are you sure that iMovie '06 will work on my 1.8Ghz G5?
Thanks for the help.
ilife 06 will work fine for you - i was running 06 on a PM G5 1.8 long time ago

Ghibli

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Trieste - Italy

Thanks for the help.
iLife 06 works as a charm on my 1.6 GHz Powermac G5 (even better on my Macbook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo). I would use the download from apple as a test (download it and then do some googling....) If it works go find a copy and buy it (very good value for the money).

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Nope

Thanks for the help.
You're looking at the requirements for iLife '08, not '06.