Please suggest how I should back-up a back-up.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sandym, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sandym macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

First off, I've learned a lot by reading threads in this message board. Thank you to all the helpers out there!

I just bought The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1TB. What I hope to do with it is a) Back-up files on my MB using Time Machine, and b) Back-up files I have on a 250GB Lacie portable HD full of photos/videos/music.

I am requesting advice on how to back-up a back-up (ie. backup my Lacie onto my Seagate). Is there a popular freeware program that I should use to do that? I suppose I could just copy and paste the photos/videos/music, but I'm sure there's a free program that does syncs, which would be way more efficient.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    S. ;)

2. JKColo22 macrumors regular

Are you going to do this continuously or just one time?

If continuously, I believe you can choose to add the drive under time machine, thus creating a time machine back-up of the Lacie. Carbon Copy Cloner http://www.bombich.com/ is another choice, I believe it's free and has a scheduler for intermittent back-ups.

If you just want to copy once, plug them both in, and drag and drop away...

3. sandym thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I intend on doing continuous updates. Syncing would be a good idea. I'll look into what you suggested - thanks!

I should also add that there is a lot of media on the Lacie that is not on my MB (making it not a true backup), so unless I can use Time Machine on my Lacie drive (as in the Lacie being the primary source and the 1TB HD I just got be the destination source), it won't help.

Further suggestions are welcome!

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper are the popular choices.

You can partition your Seagate and have CCC clone your MB internal drive to one partition (making it bootable, so in the event your MB HD fails, you can still start the computer), and clone your LaCie to the other partition.

Both of these backups can be scheduled as you wish and CCC can do incremental backups, copying only the files that have been added or changed. Further, it will archive any files you've deleted (or the old versions of files you've changed).

5. sandym thread starter macrumors newbie

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

No problem - do check out Super Duper as well, I prefer and use CCC but there are probably equal numbers of people who prefer SD.

I think it's important that you end up with backup software you like and want to use, so that you back up often. Good luck.