Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Hi,

I have Apple MacBook Pro MD103LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION), mid 2012.

It has AppleCare until 02/2016.

It is in excellent working condition and looks very new, no scratches or marks.

I need to buy iMac for my development requirements, so need to sell this laptop. What can be it's price?
Is there any place where I can trade-in for iMac?

There are so many ads on Amazon, craigslist, I don't know how to get buyers' attention without losing too much.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
The market for your machine will likely be quite small since 'retina' is all the craze now. Craigslist is always the best bet for making top $. Of course it also involves having to play what can be the frustrating waiting game, and conducting business face-to-face on your own.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
1160$ for an Ivybridge cMBP is pretty accurate. The Ivybridge baseline rMBP is around 1400$, and that comes with an SSD, a redesigned body, and a retina display. I personally wouldn't pay over 1200$ for the cMBP just because 1400$ for the rMBP greatly outweighs any cost savings for the cMBP.

1250$-1300$ is the best you will get with Applecare included. If you bought the cMBP in 2013, it should have cost you about 1700$ at most if it was new w/ Applecare. Considering what the market value was a year ago, 1250$ is more than fair.

Best,
Matt

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
yes, but it is suggesting low price $1160. I bought this laptop only an year ago. With AppleCare and all that, there is lot of price difference.

Then try listing it higher. Whether it sells will likely come down to how many others are on the market at that time. You could try to start off at $1400, but I wouldn't count on it. $1200 ish is probably likely to sell. Craigslist gets a lot of crap, so if you're a legitimate seller and repost every 3 days or so, you should be able to sell it. With ebay you lose a lot in fees. Applecare also doesn't buy you that much in terms of extra value, but it should make it easier to sell.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
For a MD103 I'd list it at around $1200 and sell it for about $1100. Applecare is what helps keep it that high - there are MD103s going for under $1000 without it.

A non-retina with 4 GB RAM is a tough sell above that price point, because you can get 15" retina models for not much more than that - 2.3 GHz retinas from Mid-2012 seem to be averaging $1200-1400, and most people seem more inclined to go that route.

Another interesting trend is the price cratering of all the 2011 15" MBPs - only a matter of time before that happens to the 2012 non-retina models, so sell it while you can.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Another interesting trend is the price cratering of all the 2011 15" MBPs - only a matter of time before that happens to the 2012 non-retina models, so sell it while you can.

Part of that could be the issues the 2011s had with gpu failures. It'll be interesting to see how the integrated only 2013 15" models hold up in terms of long term reliability. If they experience the same level of price cratering, they may be one of the better used purchases. Battery service is still expensive, but it's always expensive with Apple. It's $200. I'm personally using a 2011 17" much of the time, and I plan to use it as long as it lasts. If it's still going a generation past Broadwell, that might be time. There are just so many Apple notebooks out there at this point that you won't get a really high percentage used, especially when competing with Apple's refurbished stock. Beyond that you have newer 13" rmbps and airs that will capture some buyers that would otherwise purchase used.

svr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I got good idea now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.