Please suggest some good cooling methods

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by neenja, Jul 25, 2010.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

I use my g5 as a server and media center. Usually I would like to leave the machine running all day, but lately since the weather has gotten a lot hotter here I've constantly had to turn it off. It honestly starts to feel like a heater under my desk.

Can anyone suggest and kind of methods that would help keep my g5 a bit cooler or at least some how stop it from acting like a cheap heater?

:)

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You can try to install a watercooling system, which will keep your cpufrom overheating, but even with that, it's going to release the same quantity of heat in the air.

There's no way around this.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Open up System Preferences and go into the energy savings tab and select options. Set the processor performance to "Reduced". Since you are basically using it as a home server, it doesn't need all that extra processing power and it will reduce your CPU temps.

I'd stay away from liquid cooling if you haven't ever done that before.

Or you could always do a case mod.... :D
    [​IMG]

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

When was the last time you cleaned it out??

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^This.

Maybe think also about putting it to more open space than is under your desk. Heat gets more space to spread and cooling become more efficient.

6. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

cleaned it out as in take a dust blower to it and clear out all the debri? hmmm it has been quite a long while actually heh.. would this help a lot?

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

a heck of a lot!

think hot summer night, sleeping under a heavy blanket with flannel pajamas. :eek:

dust acts as insulation and won't let the heat escape quickly. best of luck.

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

despite the dust ..dont all g5 run hot , when i had my g5 quad it was clean like new inside all fans working as they should ,but it was a real good blow heater
    didnt need any heating in the small office box room in winter , so look on the bright side and forward to the winter month ;)
    usually on the g5 quad the cpu temps are just below of 50 degree celsius when idling and can go up to low 60's (celsius )the quad is watercooled
    the dual g5's aircooled run usually at the high 50 and can go up to 70 and for the cpu temps thats fully normal for a g5 , obviously if the room temp is above 25 degree celsius the g5's get hotter too , thats why you should never ever put a g5 inside a desk , always place it freestanding and a good foot away from any walls so the air can freely flow through without obstructions

thats one reason why apple never did try to fit a g5 in a iBook or powerbook :D

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The worst is that IBM developped low-voltage versions of the G5 processors in the last years. They would probably be able to do it, now.

10. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i live in a desert, 105-110 during the summer.. so when winter comes, i totally cherish it haha. i just bought a huge dust blower can thing and went to town on it. was a ton of dust.

even so, i just wish there was some neato DIY way to drop temps a bit on this huge beast.

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

DIY hmmm buy a aircon like that
    [​IMG]
    and place the cool air exit in front of the G5 so the cold air gets blown into the g5 as the g5 sucks in cool air at the front ..that should lower your temps by at least 20 degree celsius ...sorry could not resist :confused:;):D