Please talk me out of a MBP to replace my 1.5 year old PowerBook.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lamina, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. lamina macrumors 68000


    Mar 9, 2006
    I have a maxed 17" G4 PowerBook that I bought March 2006.

    I love this machine, but these new MBPs are really really starting to get to me. I want to be able to boot Windows XP and use Flight Simulator, and I do a bit of video conversion which I usually have to do over night.

    Also, lately my battery is really flaky. I get about an hour or so on a full charge with pretty much nothing running. So, should I drop $180 on a new battery, or $2800 on a new MBP in April or so...

    Oh boy.

    I am (hopefully) heading to Korea to teach English in April, and I am not sure how 'Mac-friendly' Korea is. I know that I can export whatever I want to PDF, and that I have a DVI-VGA adaptor...

    Also, by April, there will very likely be another upgrade to the MacBook Pro, maybe even a new form factor!

    Can anyone hazard a guess at my eBay value of my machine? It has no major scratches, and has been babied since birth. It has AppleCare until March 2009. 2GB of RAM, 1GB of 'Apple' RAM, and 1GB of Kingston. This is the last of the 17" PowerBooks.

    Or, can someone please talk me out of this?

    I am thinking of a 15" MacBook Pro. Does anyone have experience going from a 17" to a 15" screen?

    Thank you.
  2. Jestered macrumors 6502

    Oct 13, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    If you do decide to sell your Powerbook, I would stay away from eBay! eBay is a buyers market! You won't get much for your computer on eBay!

    If you sell it, post it on craigslist for you area. You will get more for it that way. You also will probably deal locally and not have to deal with the scam artists that are on eBay.

    Oh, and yes I would upgrade to the MBP!
  3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Feb 9, 2005
    The good side of the grass.
    You'll have fun on the long flight to Korea playing with a new toy! I'd absolutely wait until after MacWorld and see what trickles in after. I think all portables are due for a refresh.

    I'd hold on to your G4 for a while. It would be hard luck to buy a new MBP and have to send it in for service and be computer-less. I haven't had such good luck with the newer machines and reliability.

Share This Page