Please tell me how to use my new Mac Keyboard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Power Surge, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Power Surge macrumors newbie

I am using Mac OS X and have got one of those new flat keyboards today. This is it. http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/imac-slim-keyboard-1.jpg

I want to know how to use the F keys though. To use the volume keys and the play/pause keys. I have went to system preferences and tried unchecking the boxes for F9-F12 but it doesn't seem to be working. How can I use these keys? Any shortcuts for them? Any help please. Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have to hit the "fn" key, I think. Stupid, really. Apple should have left that stuff where it was.

3. Power Surge thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried unchecking boxes, checking boxes, holding down 'fn' key too. Tired shift, tried everything. Its so confusing. And these are keys i always use. I gotta figure out how they work...

4. Nick T. macrumors regular

I have the wireless aluminum keyboard - - similar to yours with the right end choped off.

GoTo System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard tab. There are sliders to set the key repeat rate and the delay until repeat time. The is also a checkbox: "Use all F1, F2. etc. keys as standard function keys. When this option is selected, press the Fn key to use the special features printed on each key." Check this checkbox.

Good luck - -