Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Okay, naturally, my 2850 dollar laptop, pbookG4/1.67/1gb/100gb/15" had a faulty hard drive. Naturally, when I sent them in to fix it, all the data was lost. Naturally, since the thing broke down before I had a chance to back up the data, I lost most of my stuff. As it is, since this computer isn't too old, my most important programs and files lie on a computer that's in storage at my college, but those can be recovered at the end of the summer. What I'm most annoyed about... is my loss of a vast portion of my itunes library. My IPOD however, still has that entire library on it (10 gigs, not that much I know, but I like an awful lot of those songs). Is there any way whatsoever that I can get those songs off of my 2g (yes, 2g) 20gb iPod? Because they're not loading up onto this computer, for obvious reasons, and that just blows.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Shacklebolt said:
Okay, naturally, my 2850 dollar laptop, pbookG4/1.67/1gb/100gb/15" had a faulty hard drive. Naturally, when I sent them in to fix it, all the data was lost. Naturally, since the thing broke down before I had a chance to back up the data, I lost most of my stuff. As it is, since this computer isn't too old, my most important programs and files lie on a computer that's in storage at my college, but those can be recovered at the end of the summer. What I'm most annoyed about... is my loss of a vast portion of my itunes library. My IPOD however, still has that entire library on it (10 gigs, not that much I know, but I like an awful lot of those songs). Is there any way whatsoever that I can get those songs off of my 2g (yes, 2g) 20gb iPod? Because they're not loading up onto this computer, for obvious reasons, and that just blows.

iPodRip. Best utility ever. Cost is cheap compared to the ease of use andfeatures it provides. google for it.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Onizuka said:
iPodRip. Best utility ever. Cost is cheap compared to the ease of use andfeatures it provides. google for it.

That is an awesome piece of software. Well worth the $15 shareware price just for the peace of mind it provides.

munkle said:
You'll need a third party app. I highly recommend PodWorks but there are free alternatives available. Broken Helix is one and made by somebody on this forum I think.

Awesome to know about in case my hard drive and ext FW drive decide to go belly up at the same time.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
Onizuka said:
That is what I have on my computer but I haven't had a chance or need to use it yet.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Well if you use PC id recommend iPodagent cause its quick and to the point.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Maybe you lot can help me out too. I can get my songs off the iPod no problem, but is there a way to preserve the library? Is there a utility that will restore my iTunes library (the most important thing being date added)?

AppleMatt

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I may be wrong, as yours is a firewire only 2g, but when using my sisters mini and a windows machine with USB, you can unhide the music files on the ipod using windows xp and then copy them to a local drive. Then copy to CDR and back to your mac.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
when this happened to me i found it was easiest to go into the ipod as a disk drive, enable hidden folder viewing, and then opening all of the folders and transferring them to my computer. i had to do that b/c i have windows though, and most programs that let you do that kinda make u pay...

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I really shouldn't read this thread. I'm getting paranoid, realising that after I got home from dropping off my G5 at the apple store that I had failed to back up most of my important stuff... Buy hey, they're just replacing the fan...*still worried*

BrokenHelix and iPod Rip are very good :)

Hob

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
AppleMatt said:
Maybe you lot can help me out too. I can get my songs off the iPod no problem, but is there a way to preserve the library? Is there a utility that will restore my iTunes library (the most important thing being date added)?

AppleMatt

I think Senuti does what you want. I'm not sure since it's been a while since I've used it. It's a great utility nonetheless.

XNine

macrumors 68040
floyde said:
I think Senuti does what you want. I'm not sure since it's been a while since I've used it. It's a great utility nonetheless.
iPodRip DOES this flawlessly. It was one of the first pieces of shareware I ever purchased. After upgrading a HD that a friend dropped on the cement floor, I used it to get all of my songs back off the iPod. It's an amazing utility.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
WOW, LOOKS LIKE THERE ARE A LOT OF SOLUTIONS TO THIS COMMON PROBLEM. MACRUMORS RULES!!!

oops sorry.

Wow, looks like there are a lot of solutions to this common problem. Macrumors rules!!!

Thats better.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I just want to thank all of you guys for posting these programs. I accidentally deleted about 3/4 of my library (which isn't big... about 2 gigs), and I used both iPod Rip (until the 250 song limit) and Sentui. Both worked wonderfully, and now my library is intact.

Thanks

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Capt Underpants said:
I just want to thank all of you guys for posting these programs. I accidentally deleted about 3/4 of my library (which isn't big... about 2 gigs), and I used both iPod Rip (until the 250 song limit) and Sentui. Both worked wonderfully, and now my library is intact.

Thanks

That's what we're all here for, so no problem! Glad to hear you were able to restore your library without issue. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Bibulous said:
I may be wrong, as yours is a firewire only 2g, but when using my sisters mini and a windows machine with USB, you can unhide the music files on the ipod using windows xp and then copy them to a local drive. Then copy to CDR and back to your mac.

Your iPod needs to be FAT32 format for this to work. If it is HFS+, no go. (FAT32 is Windows default, HFS+ is Mac default. Mac can use both, Windows... what do you think? Hint: Nope)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.