Please tell me if my 2g disassembled is correct

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stoidy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. stoidy macrumors newbie

I wanted to fix a 2g cracked screen without disassembly...things went south, and I realized I had broken more than the glass.

Fine. Time to disassemble.

Here are the pieces. (the screws I carefully saved in marked pices of paper wrapped and held in tiny plastic bags. I now have a complete and carefully packaged 2g iphone in multiple plastic bags.)

According to the video I watched, my phone and the video's phone are built differently, or I did something weird, because in the video all three ribbon cables move together. Not on my phone.

But the bottom line of what I'm trying to understand are which parts are the LCD vs. the "digitizer" and if what I did to my phone made it genuinely impossible to fix with anything less than all three parts fused. My concern is the yellow strip at the bottom that was obviously connected to something. The glass has what I BELIEVE is the "digitizer" still fused to it, and the LCD is the mirror-looking piece with the squarish ribbon cable piece on one corner. But I'm starting to understand that the digitizer is not complete, I guess part of it was torn off and appears to be part of the midboard? Because in the video all three of those ribbon-cables lifted out together. On my parts two of the cables are attached to my midboard, the other is on the LCD.

Because I don't have a clear understanding of what is SUPPOSED to be, I'm having a very hard time figuring out what parts I can buy on Ebay. I know I don't want to buy all three parts (glass, digitizer, LCD) fused, it's economically pointless, but if I can still try replacing the digitizer and glass for a reasonable price, I'd like to give it a shot.

In ANY case, I'd still like to understand the parts I've got and which is which and where it belongs.

Thanks.

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

not to be rude but that phone is not worth the money it will cost you to fix it. on a 2g you have to replace the glass, digitizer, and lcd all in one unit. if your phone was a car it would be totaled. you can guy a used 3g for not much more than what the parts will cost you for the 2g. the youtube videos suck when it comes to repair. just go to www.ifixit.com they have the parts and the guides for you to follow step by step.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said chargit.
    I wouldnt put good money into bad.
    Not worth fixing, pick up a 3GS or i4 instead.

4. stoidy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. Thanks, but I didn't ask for an assessment of whether I should pursue fixing this.

Please, will someone identify which parts are which on my phone?

(And FTR: I have a 3g which I have been trying to successfully unlock and I can't get out of recovery. I have a thread asking for help with that in hacks.)