Please tell me i'm missing an e-mail setting.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daaaaaan, Feb 8, 2011.

1. daaaaaan macrumors newbie

Coming from a BB, I am used to having my emails show up automatically in my inbox.

Now on the iPhone 4, I have set up 3 email accounts, all set to "push" but yet when I get an email, nothing shows up til i click on the mail icon, then I can see it loading messages, then they all show up.

What am I missing? Why are my emails not showing up til I click the mail icon?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Unlike the BlackBerry, with the iPhone the mail server has to support push notifications. The only one I have seen this work on is Yahoo email, though it may work on others.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What email services are you using? Gmail?

You might want to use the app Pushmail to help you out

4. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

I had a bb too and noticed this not only on my iPhone but on my iPad too.. If you set it to fetch won't it fetch mail every... (time settting)...? Any tips to get aol to get to easier also.?

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Gmail, Yahoo and Apple's MobileMe all support push mail. Business Exchange-based email servers should also automatically push. Other email services need to specifically support push.

I get my Gmail and MobileMe email instantly.

7. gameface macrumors 6502

It's 2011 and some of you still don't grasp email?

8. bdenge macrumors member

Hotmail also supports push. You have to set your account up as a Microsoft Exchange account though. Don't set it up using the default G-Mail, Yahoo etc options listed under Add Account.

9. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I was thinking of putting my main gmail on the exchange account....but I've read some mixed reviews...something about messages not getting deleted or excessive battery drainage?

10. unr1 macrumors regular

/thread

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not for me. It's always been super, super slow. IMAP works so much better, and yes, I've tried it multiple times. About every 2 months I think "I'll try Exchange again!" and it never works out.

I use IMAP g-mail and I have the Boxcar app to push my notices of new mail instantly.

12. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

If you put the setting to push the mail every 15 min. the device would automatically check for new messages right?
    Yeah I am use to my blackberry device receiving e-mails as quickly as I send them.

13. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This is extremely strange. I've never even had a hiccup with Google Sync and it's worked flawlessly for me. Emails, Calendar, Contacts are all instantly updated and always in sync with my desktop. To me, it's perfect.

14. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Tap the push settings
    Set it to fetch every 5 minutes. Default is manual which is why it won't update until you press the Mail icon.

15. TimShady macrumors member

Maybe someone can help me out. I set up Gmail by just using the Gmail icon in Mail, not realizing it didn't support Push. If I want to set it up through Exchange instead, should I delete my Gmail account and add it again through Exchange, or just have them both?

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

Remove the account and add an Exchange-account.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

17. TimShady macrumors member

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

ya i had the same problem setting it up using Google's instructions.

i'll stick to IMAP. email isn't that important to me anyways, so it's not an issue.

however, i've noticed that my emails come through almost instantly (with GMAIL IMAP)

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You failed to do your homework!

This is why Blackberry is and always will be King when it comes to email.:p