Please Tell Me Im Wrong!! (JailBreaking)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ClayMac, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ClayMac macrumors member

I have owned and jailbroken an ipod touch. I then sold it to by an Iphone 3g. So far it has been a very good decision and I am very satisfied with my 3g's performance.

I recently read here on MacRumors that in designing the software/firmware for the Iphone/Ipod touch Apple made a way to remotely access and delete any Apps they see as unfit for consumer use on these devices.

Would it be unreasonable to believe that a third party developer/programmer like Quickpwn could do the same thing or worse?

That is, could this third party developer be able to access my iphone unbeknownst to me and retrieve info about me and my browsing habits? If I had the program backgrounder could my conversations be recorded in the background without me knowing? Or maybe my IP address and network/computer passwords be retrieved for the ultimate in privacy intrusion..etc etc

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Your Wrong.

3. ClayMac thread starter macrumors member

Hardy Har...Very Original

Does anyone else have anything BENEFICIAL to contribute?

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Your IM conversations are more then likely being logged by the other party either knowingly or unknowingly. If your using any 'all-in-one' im client on the iPhone those acct you set up are essentially compromised as their info is stored on a 3rd party server.

As for 'rogue' spying by installer or cydia apps, its possible but I'd suspect they get called on it pretty fast. If your that worried fire up wireshark and see what is happening .

5. sjorge macrumors member

1. You can block the apple app nuke thing with bossprefs
    2. You run the same risk as using a normal computer.
    If you install software of a developer you don't trust, it could happen.

The risk is the same as with a computer. Only difference is there are now tools like "little snitch" for the iphone yet :s

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yes, you are right about ALL of this. Also, voting for odd-numbered houses takes place Nov. 5, not Nov. 4. Don't show up Tuesday or you'll be wasting your time. :confused:

::sarcasm::

7. Moria macrumors regular

You're*

8. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I would be more worried about the implant from when I was abducted by Aliens.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So according to 90% of the people on forums, this word can be interpreted as actually meaning "your" OR it can mean "you are". And I've been wasting my time with apostrophes for the last 25 years. Musta missed that memo. Sheesh!!

Silly english language. Who wants to deal with contractions anyway?? :rolleyes:

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if anyone in the jailbreaking community is that interested in your datas

11. ripkord macrumors 6502

Must'a*

;)

12. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

My guess is that, yes, a third party could harvest your data. But I think it is highly unlikely and designing and implementing something like this would probably be more trouble than it is worth. But that's just my guess. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity.

13. ClayMac thread starter macrumors member

Nervous Sarcasm.

I can only deduce from most of these responses that either people do not care about their privacy or that they are not educated enough to make a response. If you do not have to the cognitive ability to produce something constructive please refrain from responding.

Sjorge, I agree, I almost got little snitch, well I did download it but it was very distracting I did not seem to have the patience to calm it down.

Sparkyms, I kind of new that there might not be any interest. I mean they might not want to face the fact that what they did might cripple their security.

Just a food for thought thread, so that everyone is fully informed. Including me. After I jailbroke I regretted that I did not ask these types of questions beforehand.

Flhusky, is wireshark for the iphone? I could see rouge spying/info gathering as bing a pretty profitable business. So profitable that I might jailbreak your iphone free of charge.

14. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

A few months ago there was an app in the appstore that accessed the contacts library on the iPhone. It was immediately taken down and also lit up a few topics on this board. The app has since been fixed.

So yes its possible, but I would suggest then not downloading any new apps without researching them first if you are that worried about it. Or buy a phone that doesn’t have the ability to download apps in the first place, then you can rest easy.

Me, I'm completely comfortable downloading. If someone wants to listen to my boring calls, feel free. Maybe they can listen in and remind me what my wife told me to pickup at the grocery store for dinner.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

ClayMac, you have to understand the difference between people not caring about their "privacy" and just knowing when you're thinking a little too much into things.

Take the "iPhone takes a screenshot of everything you do" threads. Some people were absolutely freaking out that their privacy and security was being compromised (and I'm sure they still are), while others were just thinking "Oh, OK, it takes a screenshot for the purpose of zooming to the homescreen". The people who were paranoid about privacy and security lambasted those who weren't, saying they did not understand what was possible. Responses like "If some experienced hacker gets ahold of your phone, they can find out all sorts of things about you!" were everywhere. Yeah, really? If an experienced hacker gets near anything, they can probably find out all sorts of things about you. That's why they are called experienced hackers.

You do understand that pretty much everything you do on a computer or on the internet is recorded somewhere, right? If you want total privacy and security, do not ever use the internet. Every search you have performed, every chat you have had, every website you have visited...it's all stored out there somewhere.

You can either choose to think that such things are just a byproduct of how information is dealt with, or you can hide under rocks thinking that there's somebody individually scrutinizing your every move. I work with one guy who doesn't even allow photos to be taken around him, for fear that some government super-agency will be able to locate him.

I choose to just go on with my life. If someone is THAT interested in me, all they have to do is ask. And yes, I have had my bank account compromised, and I still feel this way.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wow...I might actually PAY for that app!! Would save me from a lot of headache. :D

17. ClayMac thread starter macrumors member

samiwas,

I think that not thinking to much into things is what hackers and the like count on.

Agreed

I do, but I am not going to purposefully sacrifice what security I do have just for the luxury of having a few extra apps on my phone or the ability to cosmetically change my phones interface.

I am not worried so much about security invasions using my mac but then I do not put third party apps on it that are from obscure developers and that aren't researched and vouched for by reliable sources. While I agree that there is no sure bet when it comes to internet security (or any security for that matter), I would like to take all measures to insure that I do not become a victim by voluntarily remaining ignorant of the possibilities.

Sorry for the late reply. Although it may seem as though I don't have a life I can assure you that that couldn't be further from the truth. Up, there's the doorbell.

18. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

must've*

19. pintnight macrumors 6502

Good thing my house is a even number. :p

20. wenglish macrumors member

I'm really getting into the spirit of this thread :D I guess you could describe Bing cherries as being rouge-colored.

21. ClayMac thread starter macrumors member